Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

B&M Auto Rachet Shifter Conversion Kit for LS1 Auto trans cars

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 11:29 PM

Cool B&M Auto Rachet Shifter Conversion Kit for LS1 Auto trans cars

I've been hunting around for a good bolt in shifter for my '02. Looking through the message threads, it appears most people have resorted to putting a universal aftermarket shifter that requires cutting the console to get it to work. I just discovered that B&M builds a bolt on shifter plate that converts the stock auto shifter to allow for single gear upshifts without potential overrunning next gear or worse find neutral. It's on B&M site under accessory/parts page. Anyone tried one- I would be very interested in hearing about difficulty of installation and actual operation after installed.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:01 PM

Smile Re: B&M Auto Rachet Shifter Conversion Kit for LS1 Auto trans cars

FYI, I found the shifter kit B and M part # 81070 at SFX Performance. I'm not sure it posted on their site yet but you can give them a call (talk to Glen), he helped me out today on the order. Part cost is $40 plus shipping and tax if applicable.

The kit requires you to remove the console, bolt in a couple of parts and choose from a couple of supplied springs to adjust the shifter tension and thats it. If you call B and M, they will send you a PDF of the instructions via e-mail - its not posted on their site.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:50 PM

Re: B&M Auto Rachet Shifter Conversion Kit for LS1 Auto trans cars

Just got the kit and it looks great. Parts fit and finish is very good. I'll post after its installed.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:14 PM

Interesting.....
Thanks for info.
Old 10-15-2005, 08:38 AM

I'm also very interested in this. Please be sure to post back your impressions, and any pics you might be able to get.

I'd also be interested to know if it will help keep you from accidentally downshifting the transmission as well.
Old 10-16-2005, 04:27 PM

Installed this weekend. Pretty staightforward - roughly 1 hour. I took my time. Couple of short cuts:

You can install without removing the lower console all the way. You can slide it back and tilt-up the back by the glove box and get enough access to put in the mounting block and the shifting gate plate. Saves the hassle of working the console completely out from under the dashboard area You'll still need to disconnect cigarette and accessory power plug harnesses.

Make sure to disconnect the night light from the shift indicator area on the upper console. It fairly fragile so it would be easy to break.

The stock spring in the shifter assy definitely needs to be changed out. Medium spring provided in the B and M kit seems to work well.

One observation, it is not a full gate/rachet conversion. it's more like a positive rachet affect. Ie. it is still possible to overshoot a single gear up each time you bump the shifter if you are overly aggressive.

You can still get neutral but to B and M's credit they've made the effort to do this from o/d position fairly hard. I'm guessing you could easily modify the bracket to prevent this??? Frankly, I'm happy with the improvement that the kit provides.

One difference is that you need to push shifter button when moving from R to D. That's different from stock. Same is true when you move from D to 3 and 3 to 2.

Kit has good quality parts and it is really a simple bolt in deal. Instruction are well written and easy to follow.

Well worth the money as far as I am concerned. Great way to go if you don't want to cut things up to get a better shifter alternative in late model car.
Old 10-16-2005, 04:36 PM

Sounds like it's almost exactly what I'm wanting.

So to make sure I understand, you cannot accidentally downshift from 3-2 or 2-1 by just pulling on the shifter, you HAVE to push the button to downshift it?

As soon as I can, I might have to order one of these and give it a shot.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:03 PM

To confirm, you must push the button on shifter **** in to go from D to 3, 3 to 2.

To go from 2 to 1 you just pull into 1 without depressing button. Makes sense no way to overshoot another gear downshifting once you are in 2nd moving to a lower gear.

It is possible to bypass a gear by holding the button in too long but, its pretty fool proof. You just press the button apply pressure to the shifter and release the **** as you feel the shifter begin to move.

The more I use the shifter with the kit the more I like it. I am think of modifying the guide area on the plate a bit so that you can't go from D to N without depressing the ****. Out of the box it is a bump/rachet from D to N. Once you see it installed and watch how the guide plate works, it's easy to see what it would take to make this modification.

Hope this answers your question.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:58 AM

Yup, thanks!
Old 10-19-2005, 05:21 PM

Sounds awesome, i'd love to see some pics!
Old 10-19-2005, 06:37 PM

any pics??
Old 11-04-2005, 08:10 AM

Yeah, did you get a pic by chance?
Old 09-21-2006, 01:10 AM

What happened to this? Anyone else usuing it? I was thinking about it when i came across the post but cant get much information on it.