Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Any verts with these mods looking for some time slips.?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2004, 04:02 PM

Any verts with these mods looking for some time slips.?

I have a 96 vert.It has magnaflow catback,cold air,airfoil,1le bellows and also adding 3.42 gears and hopefully a 2800 to 3200 vig or maybe 3000 tci converter although not sure if the tci will take 100 shot.Plan on possibly nitrous system also.Also have nitto drag radials which can borrow from my 99 ta.

I ran a pathetic at least to me 14.96 best at 94 mph this year on street tires with best 2.38 60ft on the skating rink track.This was prior to the magnaflow and gears.I realize verts are a bit heavier and I am heavier than some drivers..about 240.

I have a feud going on with buddy who has hit a high 13 with his car,a 94z.He did this with old bfg drag radials,3.23 gears,flowmaster catback,cold air,airfoil
and borla ypipe.

Can I beat him if add the stall to my already 3.42 gears,run my nittos too?

If you vert guys have some comparable times that would be great for similar mods.

I am also at 1900 feet altitude which don't help either.Buddies best 60ft think was only a 2.0 as his bfg are handme downs and very used.This guy is cocky
and needs to go down..

Would roller rockers give me another tenth or two over him.His car is like couple hundred pounds lighter and he is like 100 pounds lighter than me.
Old 09-17-2004, 04:16 PM

Re: Any verts with these mods looking for some time slips.?

The verts add like 300-400lb or something silly like that. Also if he;s 100lb lighter that means (worst case) his car is 500lb lighter with him in it vs you in yours - which is .5 seconds down the 1/4... That means you need to add a bit of to counter that. 1.6 rockers might help, but I dont know if it'd be enough. It'd be close, that's for sure... I'd say stick with your stall and get the nitrous. You may play a little catch up on the first half, but you'll get him from a roll. Besides, verts have more chassis flex and less traction to begin with...

btw- nice stack of cars.
Old 09-18-2004, 03:12 AM

Re: Any verts with these mods looking for some time slips.?

well with my true duals and longtubes with stock gears (342), cold air and new plugs and wires I ran a 13.7 at 104 most runs were 13-8-14.2. My clutch was not holding real great as it was almost shot. THis was with stock tires and a 2.4 and 2.5 60ft I think my 13.7 run was a 2.3 60ft. My track elevation was 600ft above sea level. The stall could knock off a good 1/2 second along with your sticky tires there should be a good improvement. The verts weight about 200 pounds more than the hardtops. I would remove all weight possible from the car like jack and stuff and I would also install a cutout, which is good for another 1-1.5 tenth and is very cheap. Not sure if you'll get down far enough to beat your buddy. You could do rockers, but if the springs are weak you might run into some serious trouble. I've heard up to 25 horses from them(I think flywheel) If your really scraping for every last ounce you could run without the airfilter and take off the serpintine belt and bring some ice to cool down the intake between runs, I've also heard keeping the air conditioning on will automaticaly throw both fans on to bring down the engine temp. I myself like to extract every last ounce, so I put a scoop on the cold air from home depot, hell i even indexed the spakplugs so that the electrodes are facing up towards the intake valve. A car maga got 10 horses from doing this on a built big block.