Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

94 T/a A4 -help- No Place For First Gear!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2004, 08:51 AM

94 T/a A4 -help- No Place For First Gear!

Ok guys, i just picked up a 94 T/A A4 and it has no gate for 1st gear. The lowest number i can manually shift to is 2nd. Why is this and is there any way to remedy this problem? I have never seen this before in an F-Body but then again I have never owned an auto either. Also it only has a 110 speedo in it, this also has me boggled as well as the 108mph governor on it. Anyone who can shed some light on this subject please reply!
Old 09-26-2004, 11:08 AM

Re: 94 T/a A4 -help- No Place For First Gear!

Ouch...

Vehicles with no 1st gear selector are equipped with 2.73s in the rear. 3.23 cars came with 1,2,D,and OD. And also I believe that your 110 speedo means the crappy 108 or whatever limiter, indicating that your car came with the non z rated tires (S or T or whatever). As far as not being able to manually select 1st gear, well, these trannies are touchy as it is, believe me, you don't want to do anything to upset it.
Old 09-26-2004, 02:10 PM

Ok, but the transmission is still the same correct? 4L60E? I figured the gears in the rear were garbage because it has NO power out of the hole. Is it possible for me to swap the shifter from a car that has the 1 gear gate into my car? it wouldnt have to be modified at all would it? Also there is a "performance transmission" button, what is that supposed to do? Looks like 3.73's are in the very near future!
Old 09-26-2004, 02:20 PM

- The performance button supposedly raises line pressure a bit for harder shifts. Factory only on the Firebird F-bodies. The Camaros either shift in performance mode all the time, or you can add a couple wires and make a button for the perrormance mode to work. I never did find out which one it was.

- Also, manually selecting first gear won't do squat for performance. If you want more power out of the hole, your best shot would be gears or a stall. You should be able to swap shifters if you want to. It's still the same 4L60E, 94-97 are the same. 3.73s or about a 2800 stall would be great.

- You should still have decent power out of the hole. After all, you still have the same stall as the 3.23 equipped A4s. A tenth or two difference between the 2.73 and 3.23 cars really isn't that noticeable, or so I've heard. Are you sure there's no hesitation or anything?
Old 09-26-2004, 02:43 PM

Yeah, there is a eratic idle/hesitation problem that pops up from time to time...any thoughts on that? Its pretty much a dog out of the hole right now though, wont get any wheel spin on level ground from a dead stop. The car only has 73k on it and was meticulously maintained since it was new....any light you can shed on this subject would be helpful. Also, id like to swap the shifers out if it is possible just for the purpose of being able to hold first gear if i want to, ive noticed that if i hold in the shift button and pull back hard on the shifter it will to to 1st but will not shift into another gate. I have a friend that wrecked his 93 and im thinking about taking his shifter, will it bolt right up and work? Im open to any opinions you may have. Also....i already have a 3000 stall, cooler and shift kit on order so you know......ill have to order the gears now.
Old 09-26-2004, 04:34 PM

there is a stopper in the shifter that prevents manual first. there have been a few threads on this,and if i remember correctly you need to pop the console and remove the stooper,and you'll have a manual first.

also,even when you do that,you wont be able to "hold" first as long as you want,the computer will shift the trans at a specific mph even if you try to hold it.
Old 09-26-2004, 11:57 PM

Yes, im aware of that but I will be able to hold it with the shift kit correct? Thank you for the info about the stopper, if this is true that will make for a very easy fix.
Old 09-27-2004, 05:34 AM

Yes the rubber block can be cut out of the way for 1st gear..
Mine 'holds first gear' as long as I want it to?[94Z]
The performance mode 'mod' can be done in Z's and with it 'on' it firms and shifts more aggressively[referring here to Greendemon's:
The Camaros either shift in performance mode all the time, or you can add a couple wires and make a button for the perrormance mode to work. I never did find out which one it was.