Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

9" 3rd. member questions/info needed?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 10:40 PM

9" 3rd. member questions/info needed?

I'm looking for someone that knows the 9", i've looked for any ford sites on google, but can't find any, this is for my 97 Z28 with a 9" that i just installed, the houseing/axles are new from moser, but the 3rd. member is supposed to be a rebuilt trac-lock unit, it is having some issues that i need answered from a Pro with these rears, so if anyone knows of someone or know of any good ford sites, i would appriciate it greatly.

Thanks
Old 06-22-2008, 11:17 PM

What issues are you having?
Old 06-22-2008, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by matLT1
What issues are you having?
I'm getting a wineing/slight vibration/moaning, plus when i installed the axles, the pass side had too much back & forth movement to my likeing, the drivers side was alot less, now i know there should be movement, but it seems like too much, i was thinking maybe the spiders gears, because the ring/pinion feel good, not much play, could the spider gears make noise? I'm sure i got takin on this deal, the guy claims he has all his 3rd. members rebuilt by a reputable shop in Iowa (Olsen Brothers), i'm sure i'll need to take it back out & have it looked at.

I'm running the stock d shaft right now, its about an inch shorter then with the 10 bolt, maybe thats some of the vibration/moaning, plus i need to check pinion angle, the driveshaft is takeing a good upword angle from the rear, there's definitly a V going on, but its stock height & moser clams the angle is pre-set to around -2, also running a BMR T arm non-adj. unit (brand new), its right at the floor , but i'm sure the bump sound i hear is coming from that.

My main concern is the vibration/moaning, the wineing i'm sure is from something in the 3rd. member.

I didn't install new U joints, i did notice a sqeaking on initial start up as i ran it in 3rd. gear on the stands, it was driveshaft related, but it went away as it ran, could the change in angle on the old joints cause them to develop a vibration even if there still tight?