Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

84 Z28 Ho Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 09:34 AM

Unhappy 84 Z28 Ho Transmission Problem

Hi everyone. I have recently parked my 84 Camaro and am making it my weekend cruiser. It has the 305 4b HO L69. I believe the tranny is a 700r4. However it has recently not wanted to shift. It runs great but wont shift to 2nd unless i hold it it a EXTREMELY high rpm in 1st. The same goes to get it to shift to 3rd and so on.

My initial thought was clutch problem. After further review i am starting to believe it might concern a vacuum modulator/TV. After doing research and not having my car currently with me (parked in a garage for storage for winter, dont have my own garage YET). I was wondering if anyone knew which to look for on this transmission. Also if there is any other things you think it could be please share. Thank you everyone.

Last edited by Brandon6127; 10-17-2007 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Help easier
Old 10-17-2007, 10:23 AM

whats your location?

and 700r4's are not vacuum controled, your problem should be targeted around the TV/detent cable up on the carb. just needs to be a adjusted, if you have a fact. manual for the car it'll tell you how to adjust it or just use autozone.com. i'd tell ya how to do it but its more of i'd have to be there w you show you what to do so you could see whats happening.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:44 AM

Talking

Indianapolis, IN
Thanks for your help. From what i understand the Tv cable combines the vacuum modulator functions and the downshift cable functions. With what your saying, my problem could lie in just the cable breaking or already being broke at either end? I cant wait to check on this and see if this is all it is.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:47 PM

if it was broken it would shift real hard or not at all.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:49 PM

It will shift but sometimes it will hold at high rpm for along time before it does shift. The length of time is always different, common factor is that it takes extremly high rpm to complete the shift.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:33 PM

When was the last service on the tranny? Now would be a good time to do so. Shifting like that is going to burn up the clutches and heat/dirty the fluid. Then you can properly check the TV cable operation visually. Perform the reset procedure as described here http://www.tvmadeez.com/article/index.php and then drive it. If it seems better but not cured, then do the sevice and investigate further. I would also pull the governor out and clean it as well during the serviceing.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:20 PM

When it shifts, is it really hard? May be a stuck tv valve in the throttle body. This happens quite a bit. Not hard to fix Transgo kits have a redesigned valve set up to help prevent the valve getting stuck in the bore.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:40 PM

Broken tv cable ot stuck tv valve. Check the end of the cable, at the carbureter, to make sure the "button" hasn't came off, or broken.

If it isn't broke, start the car, in park. Then pull the cable all the way out and let it snap back a few times. In some cases this will temporarilly free up a stuck tv valve. After snapping it a few times, try driving the car to see if it acts different.

Frank
CPT
Old 10-18-2007, 06:57 AM

Cool

When it started shifting rough i took it in and got it serviced. I found out that when your transmission has a few miles on it this is not recommended anymore (if its having problems). The new fluids removed any and all gunk in there and caused the tranny to leak bad and then began this not wanting to shift problem.
Thanks for the help i will check the TV cable as soon as i get a chance and let you know if it fixes it.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:51 AM

good preventative maintenance is always best to keeping your caring running longer.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Brandon6127
When it started shifting rough i took it in and got it serviced. I found out that when your transmission has a few miles on it this is not recommended anymore (if its having problems). The new fluids removed any and all gunk in there and caused the tranny to leak bad and then began this not wanting to shift problem.
Thanks for the help i will check the TV cable as soon as i get a chance and let you know if it fixes it.

You can save yourself $300 by pulling your own transmission. It can be done with a $40 trans jack from Harborfreight, a 9/16 swivel socket, 36 inches of 3/8 extensions, a block of wood for placing under the engine's oil pan, and a scissor jack.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Brandon6127
where was it leaking from?
Old 10-19-2007, 09:39 AM

Angry

Appeared to be leaking from the pan. It was a slow steady leak that would only happen every so often. If the car would sit for a day or so it would begin to leak alittle. I drove it everyday as my daily driver though so that wasnt often. Now that it is sitting in a garage it has leaked all of it out.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:21 AM

check to see if your breather on the tranny is clogged.