Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

4 speed auto to 6 speed manual

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 06:37 PM

Question 4 speed auto to 6 speed manual

I have had my camaro z28 for almost 2 years now and i have lost drive and overdrive 3 times since i bought it from a dealer. I am now getting ready to to replace my 4l60e with the t56. I already have the flywheel, clutch disk, pressure plate, t56 tranny, short shifter and clutch master cylinder. the clutch hydraulic line, slave cylinder and the pedals and mount are all on order. I am wondering if anyone has done this before and has any pointers.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by dragontau313
I have had my camaro z28 for almost 2 years now and i have lost drive and overdrive 3 times since i bought it from a dealer. I am now getting ready to to replace my 4l60e with the t56. I already have the flywheel, clutch disk, pressure plate, t56 tranny, short shifter and clutch master cylinder. the clutch hydraulic line, slave cylinder and the pedals and mount are all on order. I am wondering if anyone has done this before and has any pointers.
first off you are in the wrong area. There is a drivetrain specific area. I'll move it there.

Secondly if you lost the 3rd/4th clutchpack 3 times in a row you need a new trans shop. There's something else that's the problem in the trans causing low pressure to the clutches. A friend went thru this and once he found the real problem it's been ok for several years.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:30 AM

AL SS590 M6 thank you for the redirect, i am new to this site.

Some more info on the automatic tranny - the first time that it went it was right before i bought it after the test drive, i noticed that 4th was slipping around 80 mph. so i gave that car a stress test and found out that 3 was slipping at 4 k under hard acceleration. the dealer rebuilt the tranny before i bought the car. about 8 months later i was driving from Virginia to Maine in one day. everything was fine until i got to Connecticut where i lost overdrive. then i lost drive in Massachusetts. then i had to drive from mass to Maine in 2nd gear. i had the tranny rebuilt in Maine drove it back to VA. Again 9 months later, i was on the highway and i lost overdrive and drive at the same time. i have had some people i work with that it could be my computer.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:17 PM

Unlikely to be the computer malfunctioning. If it had been reprogrammed from stock hten it COULD be the problem. Do you want an auto or a stick? IF you want an auto, the 4L60E can be built to be pretty strong unless the combo is really wild. Look around the site and do a search of this section - there are a number of good auto tranny builders.

The six speed swap has been done a lot, there are no major issues. Looks like you still need a bell housing.

Rich