Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

4/11's

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 11:45 PM

4/11's

I just bought a set of richmond 4/11's for 50 bucks, did I get hurt? they are in perfect shape.
Old 10-25-2004, 11:59 PM

Re: 4/11's

They are good but I belive they wine and if you have 3 channel ABS you will have to have that disabled, I'm pretty sure cuz hte ABS ring doesn't go over the Richmonds.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:09 AM

the car that I have was a v6 car at the beginning of its life. it now has the lt1. that being said, it still has the v6 rearend with the drums in the back. will that affect it at all? Still learning a lot about this car, so far, it's the best car i've owned.
Old 10-26-2004, 01:36 AM

thats not true bunker..i had richmond 4.10s with my 3channel abs...but after about 130..the abs light would go on..until i restarted the car. I went through 2 sets of 4.10s in a week..now im stickin with the 3.73s until my 12bolt.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by lookimatree
the car that I have was a v6 car at the beginning of its life. it now has the lt1. that being said, it still has the v6 rearend with the drums in the back. will that affect it at all? Still learning a lot about this car, so far, it's the best car i've owned.

Don't quote me on this, but I thought the v6 and v8 rears were different. If you got gears for a 7.5in 10 bolt I don't think they will work for your current rear. I could be crazy and it's just the brakes that are different. Hopefully someone else can chime in on this for us. If they are different, then you might want to consider getting a 12 bolt or something. By the time you get a 10 bolt that the gears will fit, get all the necessary brake hardware for disk brakes, get the 4.11's installed in the rear, do the swap with your current rear you'll almost be as deep with cash as just buying a 12 bolt and doing the swap. All in all by the end if you go a 10 bolt route your going to regret it anyway. 10 bolts just don't hold up behind a 6spd and you'll most likely be wasting your time. Yeah it may last for awhile, but just get a 12 bolt and be done with it. You can order one with 4.11's anyway.
Old 10-27-2004, 05:38 AM

Well JAY-ROLL..your right about 1 thing..a 12 bolt is a much better choice. However, the 10 bolt in the v6 is the EXACT same rear end except..the carrier is an unlimited-slip dif.(non-posi) and it has drum brakes. You can easily swap posi stuff into the rear. Also..the drum brakes..you can easily swap out rear disks from an LT1 car but you might need the master cylinder too. No matter what you do..12 bolt or 10 bolt..you should def. get rid of the drums. You can get a rear brake set off of a POSI car easily(backing plate and brakes) and just swap. If you need a posi in your car..I have the strongest 10 bolt available. Instead of spending 100 for a posi(from SLP..stockposi) however much for gears..then about 300 for the instal. I will sell you my entire rear end(minus the brakes)axle to axle..AND a 3 inch alum driveshaft for $650 If you want.Its got an AUBURN PRO posi 3 series carrier..richmond 3.73 gears and an ALUM dif. cover with preload bolts. All in all...it cost me a little over 1300 less than 3 months ago to have it done.I am in the process of parting out my LT1 (motor and tranny). I even have the entire LT1 front brake setup..spindles to rotors That id sell for 50$. Let me know if your interested in any of that.
Old 10-27-2004, 06:14 PM

Ok as I said, I wasn't certain if it were the same rear or not. With that now known. Having an unlimited slip dif. is just retarded behind an LT1, especially a 6spd, and even more so with 4.11's. Traction is already an issue with a posi rear with that setup. The one thing you can probably be relatively sure of is not breaking the rear as easily. But I bet it could still happen with some sticky tires. So then add all the crap I mentioned earlier about the install,brakes,now possibly posi unit,etc. and your still left with a rear that is mild at best. I know there are several people out there who are running nice hp/tq setups on the stock 10 bolt, and there are also several people out there who have snapped one behind a stock LT1 on the street. My point is in this situation, if your putting that much time and money into the rear, just to get something that's standard stock equipment behind an LT1(besides the gears) it's probably a waste. It's still going to be inadequate, especially when the bigger mods start coming. Going full 12 bolt or 9 inch would eliminate any question of reliability and you'd never have to look back again. You can have the strongest 10 bolt known to man, heck even in the world. But lets face it, it's still a 10 bolt, and 10 bolts aren't that strong.