Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

Who makes a manual brake adaptor for the firewall

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2004, 01:06 PM

Who makes a manual brake adaptor for the firewall

I know Billinsey racing makes one for 199$ but i think Chassis engineering or someone else makes one that is cheaper. Im looking to remove the brake booster for more room under the hood.

Anyone know who else makes one price and links or pics
Thanks Lance
Old 02-08-2004, 01:49 PM

I installed my manual master cylinder without an adaptor. Pictures on my web site. It's not a direct bolt on swap. Some modifications need to be done to convert to manual brakes.

The push rod needs to be mounted 1" higher on the brake pedel. This means pulling the pedel out and drilling a hole through the arm. A proper length push rod needs to be fabricated and attached to the arm so that it pushes straight instead of upward like a power brake system. The increased height on the arm also gives a higher mechanical advantage needed for the manual brakes.

The third gen and I assume also the fourth gen master cylinders have the brake lines on the engine side of the master cylinder. That's because there's not enough room on the fender side to run the lines. All the aftermarket master cylinders (I used one from an S-10) have the brake lines on the fender side. This means you need to reroute or run new, longer lines to reach around to the other side of the master cylinder. Those metric bubble flares are a pain to work with or convert to double flare fittings.

There is very little weight saving in converting to manual brakes. The booster itself might weigh 5 pounds. I converted to manual brakes just because with the BBC, it makes it easier to access the engine and those back 2 spark plugs.