Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

Thunder Racing Southern Shootout Results

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2002, 09:18 PM

Thunder Racing Southern Shootout Results

Here's the Final Results from the Thunder Racing Southern Shootout!

King of the Cane Field / Pro-Stock / Pro-Outlaw

http://www.thunderracing.com/index.c...t&contentid=61

Modified Stock Automatic / Modified Stock Manual / Modified Stock Power-Adder

http://www.thunderracing.com/index.c...t&contentid=62

Street Stock Automatic / Street Stock Manual / Brackets

http://www.thunderracing.com/index.c...t&contentid=63

Here's also the post that I made on ls1tech.com:

(Sorry for the long post!)

I wanted to tell everyone again what a great weekend this turned out to be

Friday afternoon Joe Kizzire and I left the shop at about 1:00 and drove down to the hotel near No Problem Raceway. I must have had the biggest grin on my face when I pulled up in the hotel parking lot and saw there was already about 10 car haulers and about 1/2 dozen other f-bodies hanging out in the parking lot. The weather was absolutely georgeous and I knew it was going to be a great weekend

We closed the shop early and everyone drove down to the track to hang out and do some racing before "our big day" Saturday. Right after Geoff and I pulled out of the hotel heading to the track, I pulled up next to him at the intersection of Hwy 70 and Hwy 1 to tell him he had just thrown a rock and nicked my windshield. I pulled on ahead of him through the intersection and looked back in my rear view just in time to see a brown truck run the light and smash into the side of our truck. LUCKILY, Geoff was not hurt, the truck was still drivable, the trailer has only minor damage, and my car was not hurt! Thanks to everyone who stopped in the intersection to help us out! I went on to the track and Geoff met me there after dealing with the police. (They issued the other driver a ticket.)

After we got to the track, we unloaded the car and I made my first pass, which was a 10.85 @ 123.35. This was on a 1.488 60' time. (My previous best was an 10.83 @ 122.9 w/ a 1.41 60'.)

I was pretty happy and decided to make another pass.

60' 1.462
330 4.385
1/8 6.861
MPH 99.35
1000 8.998
1/4 10.815
MPH 123.56

I parked the car for a while and opened up tech for the Shootout. We tech'd in 32 cars Friday night so those people were able to come right in the gate Saturday morning and start time trials.

I decided to make another pass and lined up next to Pat Joffrion, the track owner, in his stock eliminator LT1 (LS1 body, LT1 engine.) Boy, that was a mistake Pat and I had both run 10.81 earlier that evening, so it should have been a good race, huh??? I fell victim to his years of experience in rattling his opponents because I pre-staged my car, he pre-staged, then I staged my car and rev'd to 3500 preparing for my launch. Then I waited....and waited....and waited...and waited... and he FINALLY staged. My best launch ever was totally wasted by cooked transmission fluid The car would not shift into third gear at all!

60' 1.399
330 4.319
1/8 6.995
MPH 85.49
1000 9.74
1/4 12.469
MPH 78.26

This track HOOKS! I tried to make one more pass, but the car still wouldn't shift into 3rd. My 60' on the last pass read 1.59, but I am pretty sure that this is not correct, or I tripped the clock with my back tires. That last launch felt just as strong as the one before. Oh well, that's drag racing!

I also want to take this opportunity to say "THANK YOU" to everyone who volunteered their time to make this event a success. Many people have been trying to put names with faces, so this may help...

Working the gate:
- Kris (Thunder Racing bookkeeper)
- Shannon (XtraCajunSS's wife)
- Nikki (TAZWS6, 95Formula's wife)
- Jennifer (G/F of Jonathan from our shipping department)

Tech:
- Alan (manufacturer's rep for Taylor, B&M, Isky and many more)
- David - Thunder Racing Sales Dept.
- Tracy (Coach's G/F) running tech cards to the tower

Back of Staging:
- Matthew - Thunder Racing Warehouse Mgr.
- Jonathan - Thunder Racing Shipping Dept.
- DJ - one of our customers who has a very fast Mustang

Front of Staging:
- Jessica (Project Wife's Car & Paul's wife)
- Tim Creswell (Tim98TA)
- Me

Waterbox:
- Paul - Thunder Racing Sales
- Jeremy - Thunder Racing Shipping Dept.

Scales:
- Shane (XtraCajunSS)
- Jason - Jason99TA - Thunder Racing Tech.
- Geoff
- Shannon
- Jennifer

Tower:
- Gary Carter - former announcer for State Capitol Dragway and founder of Fun Ford Weekend. (It was a change for him to announce a F-body race)
- Chris - Thunder Racing Sales Dept.

An extra special thank you to Jessica who after yelling at the front of staging all morning did an EXCELLENT job on the National Anthem. The girl can drag race and sing.

All of these people gave up their Saturday and more to make this possible.

There was also several people from No Problem Raceway(including Pat, George, Winston, Marion, Mrs. Mert, and Jenna) who helped us out tremendously. I know they probably don't read this board, but if you see them, tell them "Thanks!"

I want to also give a BIG THANKS to Joe Kizzire. Joe's ideas on a Sunday morning last winter are what started the seed for this event.

The following Sponsors also helped with this event:

MBA Products - the AWESOME trophies and dash plaques that they generously donated

Comp Cams - $500 payout to winner of the King of
the 'Cane Field Race

BMR Fabrication - Payout for the Modified Stock Power Adder Class

Wolfe Racecraft - raffle prizes

Spec clutches - A Stage 3 clutch to the winner of the Street Stock Manual Class

Diamond Pistons - raffle gift certificates

I hope I haven't forgotten anyone! Now that I have written The Winds of War, I guess I'll wrap it up!

Angie
(Checking dates for next year on Monday )
Old 11-03-2002, 09:41 PM

Re: Thunder Racing Southern Shootout Results

Originally posted by Angie

Angie
(Checking dates for next year on Monday )
WOOOOHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will be there monday to start ordering stuff

You guys did an awesome job angie. This was the best even I've been to yet. Whoever didn't make it this year..as soon as she set a date put in for vacation...you won't want to miss next year as I bet it is at least twice as big.

Tim
Old 11-03-2002, 09:49 PM

Angie, I just wanted to say THANKS to you and Geoff for putting on a great event. We had a blast!
Old 11-04-2002, 01:29 AM

Here is a picture of the poor truck after the wreck:

http://www.thirdgen.org/brad/thunder...c/DSC01446.jpg

More pics from Friday afternoon / Test n' Tune

http://www.thirdgen.org/brad/thundershootout/misc/

Pictures from Saturday's race

http://www.thirdgen.org/brad/thundershootout/pics/

Sorry I'm a crappy photographer
Old 11-04-2002, 07:00 AM

Thanks again Angie for the event! Had a blast!

Bradly - Nice photos I found some of mine in there.
You did a good job a taking pictures of the event!
Old 11-04-2002, 08:38 AM

Thanks Bradley! I posted your pics on LS1tech.com also. E-mail me if you need a place to host the videos, I think I have a server you can use

Thanks again!
Angie
Old 11-04-2002, 03:38 PM

I can speak for the St. Louis contingent that made the 11 hour haul, that we had a HELLUVA time! This was the best event I attended all year(including Power Tour, Bristol Bash, and a couple NMCA races). Name the date and location and I'm there!!

It was great to meet some of the people in the industry too. Tony Whatley from MTI, Matt Harlan, Craig from GTP, the always entertaining Brian Jeffery from Madman & Co. and of course, the Thunder crew.

I took a talley on Sunday morning and I shot around 32 minutes of video this weekend. That doesn't seem like much, but at an average of 15 seconds per run, that's 128 races!!

Needless to say, my nights this week will be nothing but video editing.

BTW, did they ever tear down Stephan's motor? I know a guy on a golf cart was talking to Judson and he said they would pull the valve cover, a lifter and a pushrod and check the motor. I guess they were looking for a solid roller.

Last edited by mongse_1; 11-04-2002 at 03:43 PM.
Old 11-04-2002, 04:20 PM

Angie,

Thank you very much for putting this together. I am definitely hooked for next year! I'm sure we can convince more people from Michigan to fix their stuff and make the 19/20 hour drive down.
Old 11-04-2002, 07:01 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks again Angie!!! The Shootout was GREAT!!! Looks like you've started something big here and are on the right track.
Hey Johnny Hunkins... just a friendly bit of advise here... cover the Shootout next year!!! You will NOT regret it and your readers will love it!!! You missed an awesome event this year.
Steve...
Old 11-06-2002, 03:26 PM

Cool

Aggie I was the one racing Steven in the race he broke and I think he broke a driveshaft . The car was very fast. I think he went 10.0X to qualify.
Old 11-06-2002, 06:17 PM

Angie....is No Problem Raceway in Baton Rouge????

I ask because I will be moving to Shreveport here at the end of December..and hope to attend the next race...

p.s..thanks for getting my adjustable master here to me so quick last month!!