Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

Launching auto's

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 02:33 PM

Launching auto's

Hi all,

Just wondering what you have found works the best to launch A4's at the track with 3.23 rear end and stock converter ?

Do you put it in 3 or leave it in D ?

Thanks
Old 08-05-2004, 02:43 PM

Re: Launching auto's

D and FLOOR IT Torque it up a little at the line too, depending on your tires you might not be able to floor it (spinning).

TONY
Old 08-05-2004, 02:53 PM

When I had street tires I would leave off idle and sort of feather it for about 10 feet or so then roll into it and floor it.....worked pretty good, and I pulled a best of 2.098 60 foot with crappy street tires and 2.73 gears. I woulda pulled even a better time eventually cause it takes practice and I was starting to get good at it, but then I bought some bfg drag radials. I now can dead hook easy, so I just stall it up to about 1200 or a lil higher and floor it.....best 60 so far is a 2.000 with the dr's (hope to pull a 1.9xx soon.). It just takes some practice and some time at the line......one thing I know you dont wanna do is torque it up and floor it if you have street tires because you will get tire spin and probably a poor 2.3 plus 60 foot. Good luck.
Old 08-05-2004, 03:00 PM

the best I got was a 2.25 60' foot rolling into the throttle, I dont think I went to WOT fast enough though and I wasnt spinning

next time I go im gonna try to go from stop to 75% to 100%, seems to work well on the street on 275 BFG gforce KDWS
Old 08-05-2004, 04:28 PM

I'm not sure why i'm getting "not good" 60' times. It doesn't seem like i'm spinning too bad and it doesn't seem like i'm bogging. It takes practice EVEN IN AN A4. Oh well, i'm going to the track tomorrow hopefully i take a tenth off that 60footer and get into the 13's

TONY
Old 08-05-2004, 07:35 PM

Thanks for the advice, I will try this roll technique. I tried doing the 1200 RPM drop and as you said pulled 2.37 60 ft's

Originally Posted by MarkyMark
When I had street tires I would leave off idle and sort of feather it for about 10 feet or so then roll into it and floor it.....worked pretty good, and I pulled a best of 2.098 60 foot with crappy street tires and 2.73 gears. I woulda pulled even a better time eventually cause it takes practice and I was starting to get good at it, but then I bought some bfg drag radials. I now can dead hook easy, so I just stall it up to about 1200 or a lil higher and floor it.....best 60 so far is a 2.000 with the dr's (hope to pull a 1.9xx soon.). It just takes some practice and some time at the line......one thing I know you dont wanna do is torque it up and floor it if you have street tires because you will get tire spin and probably a poor 2.3 plus 60 foot. Good luck.
Old 08-05-2004, 09:32 PM

It really depends on your tires, and even different cars react differently (dUh!? ).......anyway though, if you're running street tires, try pumping them UP to ~35-ish psi (trust me) and with the auto, sometimes it's best to launch from a dead idle, and sometimes it's best stalling upto ~1200 rpm. It will take trying both methods to determine which works best for your car. Surprisingly, even with the 4.10's in my car, it's hooking pretty good on the street tires and I've been cutting consistant 1.9xx 60' times just by hitting full-throttle right off idle. However, my buddy tried a full-throttle launch in his '96 T/A, A4, 3.42's, and he got something like a ~2.3 60'. Like I said, every car is a little different.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:16 PM

I guess track prep has a good deal to do with it too, if you have awesome track prep then who knows maybe you could dead hook with some street tires.......but all i know is that when I would floor it or stall it up and floor it even with 2.73's my car would not hook and I would pull 2.2-2.4 60 foots. Good suggestion on keeping the pressure up, only bring the pressure down if you have drag radials. Maybe do a quick spin of the tires (not a burnout) to get the debris off of em and be sure to avoid the waterbox at all costs with street tires. Just try different things and eventually you will find what works best for ya......and if your really serious about it then document everything each run and change one thing each run and see what difference it makes in et and 60 foot etc...

Or you could avoid all this and just get some drag radials.....I love having em and wouldnt go back for nothing.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:25 AM

With my '96 A4 in sig, when I had the stock 2.73s, stock everything else, I would cut 2.0s all day. I had Bridgstone Potenzas (245/50s) and would get 0 wheelspin. I found it best to leave off idle and just floor it. If you do that your converter will flash and you'll actually get a little more "stall" out of the converter. Albeit, it's not much on a stock conv. anyway, but I could footbrake mine to about 1,5k before the tires would break loose. If I flashed it, it would slip to almost 2k. Of course if you're not getting any traction, it's not going to matter either way.

But as was said, all car will run different. My car would leave at the track OR on the street the same way. Just leave off idle and put it to the floor...

Jon
Old 08-06-2004, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by COMNBYU
Just leave off idle and put it to the floor...
Well said and I agree but get some good track tires. ET Streets are best for driving legally to the track and racing. Tires make a huge difference. Drag radials will work well on the street but are no better than a good street tire on the track.
Old 08-06-2004, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Tekprodave
Drag radials will work well on the street but are no better than a good street tire on the track.

What???? Drag radials are the shiznit.....way better than street tires. What makes you say they are no better than a street tire??
Old 08-07-2004, 12:16 PM

Drag radials do make a huge difference. Dirty Mark gets me out of the hole every time with em.
Old 08-08-2004, 08:03 PM

I tried the rolling off idle technique, but my best 60' ever is a 2.2xx.

Everytime I try to "stall up" to about 1,800 and leave the line, I spin like crazy and end up running a 15. I leave my car in OD, would putting it in D make any difference at all?

I just think my timing (brake and gas pedal) needs to be better when I leave the line that way. I'm also using street tires. I've heard of guys cutting 2.0s on street tires. I just want to get the best time possible before I start modding again, drag radials included.
Old 08-08-2004, 08:42 PM

D and OD dont make a difference at all......I personally use od and some use d, just preference I suppose. Another good strategy, at least it seems good (never tried it) would be to rev it up to 1200 - 1500 and then leave at half throttle and the roll into it. Changing the time you roll into it each run until you get no wheel spin. Wheel spin will kill your 60 foot....but so will not getting on it in time.
Old 08-09-2004, 02:57 PM

I went to the track friday and tried the "idle then floor it method" it seemed to work best, got a 2.14 '60. Still need a little more practice to get that 2.0. On my last run i was spinnig like crazy when it shifted into second. Think my times would get better or worse if i lightened up on the throttle for the 1-2 shift? Or should i stop crying and get some ET's?

TONY

Quick Reply: Launching auto's