Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

Hungarian 'Dragway' - Weekend, LONG

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2003, 03:54 PM

Post Hungarian 'Dragway' - Weekend, LONG

Hey guys,
I thought I might share my weekend happening with you. I live in Hungary, so it is a bit farther away from the 'home of drag racing' Nevertheless, we ended up getting a real time measurement system at a road racing track some 130 miles away from our city. It was set up in the long stretch of the Pannonia-Ring. (www.pannonia-ring.com )
There were lots of folks from Austria with serious cars like a cammed L98 Vettes, some european/japanese rockets and a really fast Karmann Ghia.
It was my first night this year, I was wrenching under my car practically the whole winter. Now, something about the technical equipment at the track;
They measure r/t, '60ft., and 1/8m. The tree is like a comp. tree, and if you cut a perfect light, it will be .000 .
The worst things: there's really no rollout, like 1-1/2 inches, so your times basically suck. No track prep, just plain tarmac that's slippery as hell. And finally, the track elevates, so you drag uphills. I know, I know, but we have to live with it, and just be happy that we have time measuring at all.
I'm preparing for my first N/A pass, I didn't wanted to spray that night b/c my clutch was slipping. I set up the notebook, I wanted to make a Datamaster log. Fist pass:
'60 2.471
1/8 9.632
I couldn't believe when I looked at my times. My clutch was slipping very massively, and I couldn't hook up. Still, it's like crap.
Second pass, lined up, wanted to boot up notebook but it's batt. was dead I was like.... Ok, no prob:
'60 2.361
1/8 9.486
Well, that was better, clutch slipped like a **** again. Decided to make a nitrous run next rounds, so I opened the bottle. Pushed the purge, and it was like "shhhhh..........pah". It was empty (or so I thought). I started to go frenzy at this time. I made two more passes, and they sucked big time.
Later, when I analized my datamaster log I realized I'm getting a large amount of knock retard, 7degrees. It's probably false, I have to work on this.
The austrian folks were runnin low 8's, the Karmann as low as 8.2 with a crappy 2.1 short time. Best '60 was the Vette with ET Streets and a healthy burnout done on VHT trackbite.
So, coming back disappointed from the track I decided to order a set of ET streets myself, and get that damn master cylinder work again.
Sorry for the long post, I though it would be interested for you actually to see how these things work at the other side of the ocean

P.S: As I later found out, the bottle was not empty. The remote bottle opener took a crap on me...Boy, was I freaked out!

Last edited by HungryT/A; 06-20-2003 at 04:15 PM.
Old 06-20-2003, 03:56 PM

You can see pictures from the race atwww.dragbike.hu in the "verseny kepek" menu.
Old 06-20-2003, 04:08 PM
Administrator

Wow. Thanks for sharing. Looks like fun!