Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

How to launch without line locks

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by kazman
Ted, that a no-no in the DIV 1 footbrake class. Just don't get caught. Not allowed to launch off a button.

This is the second year that I'm running the Mustang without a linelock. Don't plan to install one. Shallow just off idle in second gear off the second amber.
I know, but for local king of the hill races and unsanctioned events it is fine.

I just have have a line lock for my front wheels in my car.

A person however is allowed "non vehicle" modifications to change the launch procedure...

A few years back I played around with a batter assisted device on relay box that was not attached to the car, but attached to my suit. I tried to figure out if a physical sound would be more consistently accurate that eyesight in terms of launching the car.

I would press a button at the top bulb and a sound would go off at a preprogrammed time. I launched on the sound.

I played with this at street nights and non-points events until I because satisfied the "double variable" of seeing the first bulb plus reacting to the sound, negated any improved consistency.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by TedH
I would press a button at the top bulb and a sound would go off at a preprogrammed time. I launched on the sound.

I played with this at street nights and non-points events until I because satisfied the "double variable" of seeing the first bulb plus reacting to the sound, negated any improved consistency.

I very more consistant with sound over vision. I have great RT's when I hear the dinner bell.

Silly bracket racers are always thinking outside the box. You will likely confuse most here.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:42 PM

Ted would you know the answer to my question about the line locs?
Old 04-28-2009, 03:45 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by cause4panic
Ted would you know the answer to my question about the line locs?
I understand the question but I am not personally technical enough to know the answer. However I suspect someone here will know the answer.