Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

How do you do a burnout?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 07:35 PM

How do you do a burnout?

I can't believe I'm saking this, I've owned the car for almost a year now and still don't know how to do one. Like it says in the title, how? on me.
Old 05-08-2005, 07:55 PM

Re: How do you do a burnout?

the easiest way would be to get a line lock for it.
Old 05-08-2005, 07:59 PM

No line locks for me yet. I'd like it, but I doubt I'd use them enough to justify getting it. How do you do it with just the brakes?
Old 05-08-2005, 08:15 PM

rev it up some, let out the clutch, mash the gas and get your left foot on the brake. If your at the track it should be pretty easy in the water, just get them spinning and hold the brake like it was an a4.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:04 PM

mines an auto with crappy tires...all I have to do is punch the gas and spin through first and part of second...lol
Old 05-08-2005, 09:48 PM

mine's an auto as well, and most of 1st i can hear squeeling from a dead stop, w/o power braking either. My tires are very new, but they are factory all seasons, so i'd image they arn't too sticky.
Old 05-08-2005, 10:33 PM

Proper way is with a line lock. You should have the front brakes locked and no pressure on the rear. That way the rear brakes don't heat up and risk fading when you need them.

You'll notice that every drag strip will have a water box. There's less wear and tear on the tires if they're damp when being heated up. Trying to do a burnout with dry tires just chews up the rubber.

You want to do a burnout in a high gear to get wheel speed. With an automatic, you need to shift through the gears while doing the burnout. With a standard, you need to start in a higher gear since it's hard to shift while doing the burnout.

Doing a burnout with street tires does nothing for traction. Street tires are designed for long life with a harder rubber compound than slicks. They're also designed not to heat up. Doing a burnout with street tires just makes smoke and slippery tires. I see these cars on the street that launch from a light with nothing but tire squeeling. I'd race them with anything since they don't understand what traction is.

Burnouts are only to heat up slicks to make the rubber soft. The hot tires allow the oils in the tire rubber to make them sticky.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:12 AM

When im on street tires at the track i just get them a quick spin to get rid of the rocks and junk in them. But ya if your and m6 you can just rev it up and dump the clutch an then put you foot on the brake while you continue to rev it up. A4s are easier just put your foot on the brake and mash the gas...i dont think that it hurts the back brakes too badly cause your doing the same thing as stopping.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:07 AM

The whole secret in an M6 car is revving up, dumping clutch and jumping over on to the brake with your left foot. At that point its no different from doing a burnout in an A4 car
Old 05-09-2005, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by CrabhartZ28
mine's an auto as well, and most of 1st i can hear squeeling from a dead stop, w/o power braking either. My tires are very new, but they are factory all seasons, so i'd image they arn't too sticky.
I have Dunlop SP4000 or some crap, and 3.42s...I don't have to powerbrake either lol
Old 05-09-2005, 01:25 PM

On street tires, no burnout, just a quick dryhop to knock the crap off.
Drag radials, depends on the tire (M/Ts long burnout, Nittos...why bother? lol)
Slicks, roll through the box, dry hop to turn them over through the box, hit the line lock, big burnout @ a constant speed (a tougher than you'd think w/ a turbo car), let off line lock, click into 2nd and roll out. If the track allows, I'll carry it out past the line (most don't like it). I do the same thing on the street as I do w/ the slicks.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:48 PM

Thats why you get a 2 or 3 step son!
Old 05-16-2005, 08:36 PM

I taught the girlfriend on a wet asphalt driveway. With traction control off it is VERY easy to spin the m6 and get a feel for the technique.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:15 AM

Unless you are using race tires, you should not do a burnout unless it is a very cold day. Just a quick spin to clean the tires off. Pull around the water box, back up into it with your rear tires only. If you have an automatic, just stomp on it and spin out of the box. With a manula, raise the revs to 3K or so and quickly release the clutch while opening the throttle and spin out of the box. With race tires but no line lock, the technique is different.

What tires and what tranny are you running?

Rich
Old 05-19-2005, 12:05 AM
GP Moderator

I have no linelock, so my methods:

- On ET Streets, I pull up. Heel on the brake, toe on the gas. Dump clutch at 3-4k, burnout around 5k in 1st (my car's various clutches have NEVER liked 2nd gear burnouts). I use just enough brake to keep the car from rolling forward. If it's my first time racing for the day, I burnout 10 seconds after I start seeing smoke. For the rest of the day it is 5 seconds. Roll out burning from the water box, stage and go.

- On street tires, I'll do a 2-4 second burn after I see smoke w/ the same method as above. Though I RARELY race on street tires, I've always hooked better w/ a little heat in them (could be because I tend to race on worn out street tires when I do, which need all the softening they can get!).