Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

Guys with Aftermarket Torque Arms inside please.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2003, 06:42 PM

Guys with Aftermarket Torque Arms inside please.

I am Thinking about getting a torque arm like the one from spohn with the poly bushing and wanted to know the following:

1. How much harsher does your ride get with one of these things
2. Did it improve you 60ft Launch at all?

I already have a ES tranny mount and drive my car 600 Miles weekly so I dont want something that will give me a harsher ride.
The TA that I pick must also have a Driveshaft loop. I have a 3inch Y pipe on my long tube header exhaust (if that makes a difference) so it would have to clear my Y-pip too and have good ground clearance. If the ride is too harsh, I will just get a DSL for now.

Any Help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Claude
Old 11-20-2003, 08:03 PM

Hey Claude!

I've got one of the Spohn arms with the poly bushing.... Here's the deal..

Basically, an aftermarket torque arm doesn't change much if you don't want it to. The spohn unit moves the mounting away from the transmission, which is nice. It's more of a solid mount.

Here's where the harshness comes in. You can adjust the preload. Stock, the car (without lowering the vehicle or changing the rear, or moving the tranny) comes with basically a 0 pinion angle. When you adjust it more towards the negative side, the springs get more compressed in the back of the car and then you feel more bumps or more harshness

If you leave it at the 0 pinion angle, it doesn't feel much different. Adjusting the pinion angle will effect your 60' time. It allows the suspension to be preloaded, so, less of your horsepower is used to compress the springs/suspension. If you have a good suspension setup, your car should be solid in the back and just boom, you take off. Of course, that is in optimal conditions.

Good luck!

--Sean

Edit: Ground clearance issues .. My spohn brace which is lower on the passenger side to accomodate the y-pipe is a bit low. I do scrape going into driveways and what not, and don't even think about going straight over a speed bump.
Old 11-20-2003, 08:11 PM

I just installed the Spohn torque arm a few months back. Really nice piece. It hits the tunnel area where the differential is though, can here it hit on every bump now. I am going to have to make some more clearance. It is pretty much a bullit proof piece if you ask me.
Old 11-20-2003, 09:04 PM

Thanks for the response guys....Much appreciated.
My car is lowered about 3/4 of an inch so I think I am gonna hold off on it and just get the DS Loop.

Sean,
Hope that beast is coming along OK. As you know I got the Borla cutout you recommend from DMH installed and finally got some sound clips of it. The link is in the sig, You will need QUICKTIME to view. I love that thing and cant thank you enough for recommend it. Its sounds great but still not has good as your car. I plan to have mufflex install a custom off road pipe with no cats in January, fix my header leak, install new plugs as well and then its off to the dyno.

Later and thanks again guys.
Claude
Old 11-20-2003, 10:09 PM

i have a Spohn torque arm which i am NOT happy with at all. It hits the tunnel on the back mounting bracket, hits the ebrake cable bracket, and it hits the fuel line bracket. Not to mention the fact that the torque arm hits the built in driveshaft loop and makes a god awful banging sound everytime i shift gears. I"m told you can "ovalize" the loop and it will eliminate the interference, but being that i don't have a vise capable of bending 1/4" steel, i'm pretty much out of luck...

But in terms of function...it knocked .15 seconds off my 60' with -3* pinion angle....

Eric
Old 11-22-2003, 10:56 AM

I just swithced form a n lg tranny mount to a sphon barce mount you fee a lot more road vibration because the tranny monty no longer absorbes it.