Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

Flaming river disconnect in a camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 09:04 PM

Flaming river disconnect in a camaro?

I am in the process of relocating the battery. The battery and box are done and and mounted in the well. I now have to install a disconnect. I bought a Flaming River switch but I'm having some trouble finding a suitable place to put it that will still allow the rod to come out the back and look half way decent. I'm looking for some pics of your install to give me some new ideas on where to put it. Pics would really be great...
Old 01-23-2005, 09:06 PM

Re: Flaming river disconnect in a camaro?

I don't have any pics of it but I put the Flaming River switch in mine with the rod handle coming out the back to the left of the Z28 emblem. I had to bend the rod to get it to reach the switch mounted above and to the right of the battery box on the top edge of the well. I used the Flaming River supplied bracket and a couple of 1/2" spacers underneath it. Passes tech at US 131 MSP.
Old 01-24-2005, 04:58 PM

Is there anyway you could get a pic and e-mail it to me? I wanted mine to have the handle coming out in the same spot but I just dont see how I can mount it there. the area where it has to come out is just so much higher. even if I bent the rod it would be hard to make it work.

I think part of my problem is that my rear bars of the roll bar come down to the top of the frame on either side of the t-top storage area. I'll have to go back out and play with it when I have a fresh mind to come up with something.
Old 01-24-2005, 05:54 PM

I put mine through the key lock hole, for the hatch. Welded a solid piece to the rear portion of the body then mounted the switch to that. The rod fits nicely through the hole. I did have to cut the rod and retap it for the correct length. I'll try to get some pics up soon.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:42 PM

The car is in storage and I don't have a digital camera. If I can borrow one, I'll get some pics. I don't have T-Tops or a roll bar so I don't know if either of those would interfere with where I mounted mine. I did bend the bar pretty far to get it to line up. Could a bracket for the switch mount to the right side bar at the right height? LT4383's idea sounds pretty good, too.
Old 01-30-2005, 06:52 PM

Well I ended up just bolting the bracket outside the car behind the rear bumper cover. Since there is no rear bumper to worry about it seemed like the easiest place to put it. The handle I have comming out where the licence plate would be. I think this works much better for my set up. My battery is mounted in teh well and the rear bars of my roll bar mount to either side back there stradling the well. I just didnt have an easy place to put it and have the handle out of the way. I didnt want to drill a hole in teh rear fascia if I didnt have to and this seems to work very well. The only problem is that when I hit it off the back end of the lever hits the car and makes a thump. I think I can eliminate this with some assistance from my trusty BFH.