Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

first time to track

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2003, 08:28 AM

first time to track

I'm going to be making my first trip to the track in Mrach and have some dumb questions I have to ask. If i have a elctric cutout open what can i run in unmuffled or the muffled class? Is it hard to get used to the tree? How much do you think it will hurt by running on street tires? I emailed Englishtown about running with the cutout open but they never emailed me back. Sorry I know they are stupid questions

rear panel letter in black
avs tailshades
cowl induction hood
whisper ram air coming soon 3-4 weeks can't wait
Old 01-27-2003, 10:02 AM

I don't know about Englishtown's rules but here's a great article on racing basics that helped me a lot http://modernmusclecars.net/articles/drbasics.html
Old 01-27-2003, 10:07 AM

youl get a better answer in the drag racing forum.. ill move it there
Old 01-27-2003, 10:49 AM
Administrator

I would not do a cutout at Englishtown. Here is why:

RACEWAY PARK NOISE REGULATIONS

ALL FRIDAY NIGHT AND SATURDAY RACERS READ THIS!
Corredores de los Viernes el la noche y los Sabados en la tarde
FAVOR LEER

Raceway Park has implemented a new sound level policy for Friday Street Night and Saturday muffled racing. The maximum sound level for these days is 90 db from 100 feet away.
NO EXCEPTIONS!
Some suggestions to achieve these desired levels are:
1. The biggest chamber style muffler you can find.
2. Do not use "bullet" style mufflers, Glasspacks, or collector mufflers as they are too loud to meet the desirable level.
3. Use exhaust pipe before and after muffler, tailpipes if possible
We are trying to achieve a "street" sound level. Noise is a problem for many racetracks, it is imperative that all Friday and Saturday competitors adhere to the new rules. There WILL BE NO GRACE PERIOD, if you are too loud you will not race.
Raceway Park is not trying to drive anyone away. The street program is vital to our business and we appreciate you as our customer. These steps are being taken to ensure the future of the street program at Raceway Park.
Please, do not regard this letter as only a request, it is a requirement. Understand this is being done to comply with our current noise regulations. If you want to db test your vehicle, Radio Shack has a meter part number 33-2050 for around thirty dollars. If you do not want to buy the meter or you think your car is quiet enough we will gladly check the decibels at Tech Inspection at no charge, but remember if it is to loud you will not race. The proper settings for the meter are:
· Response slow
· Weighting A scale
· Take the readings from 100 feet from the back of the car under load or when you let the clutch out is should read 90 db or less.
We thank you for your cooperation with this new requirement. Your complete compliance will enable our track to continue operating the Friday Night and Saturday programs for your racing pleasure. Please feel free to call us at (732) 446-7800 should you need any assistance in meeting this requirement. Thank you for your cooperation.
Raceway Park Management

For further information please contact:
Raceway Park - 732.446.7800
info@etownraceway.com
Old 01-27-2003, 12:17 PM

If you open the cutout you will be tossed out. E-town is having noise problems with their neighbors. People moved-in near the track and are now complaining about the noise. I think that any track and class that require mufflers (real street) mean that you use them. I will be at E-town every Saturday in March. Look for me and I'll help you out. I would not recomment you going to the Street War's on March 8th. This is an import vs USA and is a zoo. There will be 500 cars and a total mess. There are no dumb questions. Everybody has to start someplace. The third time out I asked a track official (before the start of the event) exactly where the finish line was. He said it wasn't a stupid question and he wished more people would ask. He walked me onto the track and explained how the end of the track worked. Drag racing is a ton of fun. I'll see ya there. I have a silver trailblazer, black open trailer, and a blue-green firebird. Like everthing else the tree takes practice. E-town is usually slippery early in the season and I would recommend a set of drag radials.
Old 01-27-2003, 12:20 PM

man, noise level regulations must suck

i dont about E-town, but none of the tracks here have restrictions. the only reason they try and enforce the muffler rule here for street class, is to make it more like a "street" car. but there are ways around that. you simply leave it closed for tech, and then flip it open at the light

at least, thats what we do around here.

jon
Old 01-27-2003, 06:49 PM

thanks for all the help i'm kinda nervous about the first trip to the track mostly because my friend has a grand national and we have a little rivalry going on. We both wanted to go last summer but his car got all messed up so we promised each other we would be their the first day it opens to race. Also with it being my first time goin to the track should i expect to be able to run my cars stock time or better? I'm thinkin bcause their is alotta things I have to get used to I'm not gunna be running better or around the stock time.

rear panel lettering in black
avs tailshades
cowl induction hood
3-4 weeks away from whisper ram air
Old 01-27-2003, 08:26 PM

Being your first time I would recomend that you just get use to things a couple of times. For the first 2 runs I would just get the car down the track to see how it feels. Opening day is a test and tune and most of the people in the staging lanes will let you match up for a grudge race. I think you are going to have problems launching the car more than anything else. E-town isn't know for hooking especially on the first day. I'm going to be dialing in a new combination. My first run will be just to get the car down the track. It does take practice to get the best times from you car. The launch and the first 60' is everything. What you don't want to do is get excited, smash the gas to the floor, and spin the tires down the track.

You might want to post something in the North East F-body section. We ususlly post trips to E-town there.

Warning drag racing is adictive, very adivtive.

Last edited by kazman; 01-27-2003 at 08:31 PM.
Old 01-29-2003, 03:00 PM

First timer--ahh the memories

I almost wrecked my '94 Z28 the first time I went down the 1320. I assumed my tires would hook up to the track the same way they do on the street--do not assume this!

If you start spinning your tires, get out of the throttle immediately. Later, you will get comfortable with back peddling and ignore this rule.

Stupid me spun off the line and stayed in it thinking the tires would eventually hook--a few hundred feet later I'm still spinning and starting to go sideways. Next thing I see I'm look at the wall! Not good. Me & my car survived that one--just be alert.

On my 2nd run my tires hooked great--probably due to that half-track burn out

Just drive around the water box, backup a little, but not into the wet area & just spin the tires enough to get the dirt/rocks off of them.

Have fun.