Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

First time at 1/4 mile with AI 383/six speed

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 11:03 PM

First time at 1/4 mile with AI 383/six speed

Well i finally got to try the 1/4 mile this friday at Dragway 42 in West Salem Ohio. Pretty nice place btw if anyone is local around there, worth checking out!
Anyhow, I suck terribly on the launches plus I was trying to baby it as i still have a 10bolt with 4:10's in it just waking to go boom. I also drove 3.5 hours there and didnt want to try to find a way to get it home should it break...again.
Dont have time slip with me, but my RT was .4 something, 60 foot was 2.xxx spinning the whole way, and the 1/4 came to 13.3 at 115mph.

Was on 275/45/17 falken tires on zr1 wheels with about 32-35psi air pressure, No burnout.
I was launching in 2nd trying to slip the clutch a little but as soon as the RPM's would go above 3k it would be like driving on ice, even trying to go to 3rd gear in a hurry would spin unless i feathered it so much as to make my ET suck as bad as it did.
Once it hooks up it hauls ***, even shifting it 'gently' (no powershifting or whatever people call it now).
Got to make 4 runs, after the 4th they said I needed a helmet and I didnt bring mine because I didnt think i would run fast enough since Ive only been to a track 2 times and suck so bad on the launches.

A friends 69 mustang runs 11.9 at 115mph at same track also spinning tires (he says) and he seems to have about the same power level as I do so iam hoping to get a 9inch and DR's or slicks on there ASAP so i can really see what the car's got.
I think the mustang has about the same power/weight ratio because if were in a 'simulation' and punch it from about a 40mph roll we stay side by side, neither pulls away at all. Real accurate means of measuring power levels I know
Still havent had it dynoed this time out, the mods are listed in the 95 camaro car domain link in sig.

Curious thing, the pcm rev limit is supposed to be 6500 but the tach sometimes runs up to 7k before the limiter kicks in, but not all the time??? I do have an MSD 6al with a 7k pill in it also. Whatever RPM it is actually turnin, its still pulling STRONG and could deff. benefit by raising it some

Not a good representation of what the AI-headed/cammed motors usually run, but thats because the driver mod sucks on this one, not used to this leaving from a dead stop type thing The motor (engine!) deff has the ***** if I can get the rest figured out and practice.
That said, anyone know how to get a 9inch fabbed up some what cheap around the ohio/wv area? I have one but it appears to be off of a truck or small car, it measured out roughly the same distance flange to flange as my 10bolt???? Want to try to use it being as how its supposed to have 4:11 gears already and it only cost me $75.
Thought you all might be curious how a car with a beasty motor but crappy driver would do on the strip, enjoy
Any tips appreciated!

Last edited by coolraptor; 07-06-2009 at 12:58 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:06 PM

well for one you need some sticky tires, than a rearend. Is the suspension stock?

Did you ever try and slip it from 1500rpms and try not to spin the tires threw 1st, 2nd, etc??

Your really going to have to practice with a setup such as yours. Its not going to be easy, goodluck.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:07 PM

calm down and breath deeply. you seem very excited.

glad you had fun, trailer that thing next time
Old 07-06-2009, 10:24 PM

The suspension is stock except for UMI Tubular rear control arms and panhard bar. Has almost new stock type Sensa-trac struts/shocks all around so basicaly stock.

Yeah iam still a bit nervous on the light especially, i havent red-lighted yet but have come close to stallin it.
Its cool as hell finally getting to run it at a track instead of the 'driving sim' I used to frequent when I was younger and dumber around here.
Yes ive tried leaving around 1500rpm in 2nd gear as 1st would be completly useless and it hooked but once the RPM's get around 3k it breaks them loose if iam not quick to feather it.
I guess i cant really expect too much from near stock suspension and street tires though
Iam currently trying to find a cheap-ish trailer. Was planning on having one before summer but un-expected truck repairs (damn fords lol) and was out of work for a few weeks made me run a little behind. Lucky i have the car at all right now I suppose.
I ran one other time a few months ago on a 1/8th mile and on the 4th run some how busted the springs out of my spec 3 clutch disk. Wasnt hitting anything, they just broke out some how So that was another expense that slowed me down further.
Iam working at a garage again, this time doing office work on computers, phones, etc so I get parts at cost now (stock replacement only most of the time) and access to full shop after hours so hopefully things will move forward finally.

Trying to sell some stuff to re-coup some lost time on this project, check out the parts for sale section if ya like
Old 07-20-2009, 08:19 AM
Retired

Try some Nitto 555Rs with 20psi.

Launching in 2nd gear is a pretty bad idea.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:03 PM

practice practice practice man. It will take some time. goodluck
Old 07-20-2009, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by coolraptor
after the 4th they said I needed a helmet and I didnt bring mine because I didnt think i would run fast enough since Ive only been to a track 2 times and suck so bad on the launches.
You need a helmet for 13.99 or quicker.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:12 AM

Work on figuring out what you have before you change things up. Good tires (ET radials or streets) would be a big help. With a 6spd it is more about seat time and practice than anything else. You have lots of potential, but you won't realize even part of it you don't practice.

Good luck with the car 115 is a good start.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:29 AM

You need tires badly, mph seems low to me but from the looks of it we can't learn much from them run's besides major traction issues.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:26 PM

Sounds like fun obvously but theres no point trying to get a good number on a Falken street tire with a 383 6 speed combo.

I've seen a friend try it with his 400+ cube LSX/6 speed combo. Runs 9.xx on a small shot of hose with slicks but on motor with street tires he couldn't go any quicker than 13.2-13.5. Looked frustrating..haha

Oh and the mph looks great if it spun a lot and you had to get in and out of the throttle, etc. I tried street tires for fun last fall. I had a run when I smoked the tires(purposly) about 200 ft and it came out to 13.xx @ 115. Same day once I finessed it off of the line it ran 124+ mph all day. Mid-high 11's.

Last edited by AutoRoc; 08-16-2009 at 03:30 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:42 PM

buy a set of salad shooters or any 15 or 16inch rim that you can find cheap. mount a set of DR's and practice slipping the clutch.

Without a sticky tire your never going to go fast, but with more sidewall things should be much better. Those 17's @32psi are never going to get it done for you, well without 200 passes of practice.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Kraest
Try some Nitto 555Rs with 20psi.

Launching in 2nd gear is a pretty bad idea.
ditto

Try launching from first at 2000rpm, at around 22psi, and then each pass if you find your roasting your launches, bring down the psi and rpm steadily untill you find your sweet spot. worked for me anyways.

Does anyone have any info on those launch control systems? All i know is that you preset the RPM's and its perfect everytime.