Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

'Circle track' rims on drag strip?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2003, 06:48 AM

'Circle track' rims on drag strip?

Can you use 'circle track' rims on the drag strip? Like those at Summit (link), wrap some tires (like that slicks) - it's a very low budget combo, rims are light. So why nobody uses them? Drag strip rules doesn't allow that? Or won't it handle car's weight? Recently friend run that in a C4 (wheel spacers were needed), besides normal 'rear end weakness & slicks' what danger may appear in Fbody running those?

Oh, the pictures:
C4 [1]
C4 [2]
Old 09-09-2003, 12:30 PM

I bought em and returned em...they woulda taken alot of grinding on the rear caliper...much more than you'd need for the regular drag wheels that require grinding. Much more grinding than I'd feel safe with...prolly snap the caliper in half the first time I hit the brakes hard...Possibly they'd work with rear drum brakes? I dunno if the drums are any smaller than the disc brake assembly...

I ended up going with the centerline telstars...no grinding, and they work with stock studs and lugnuts...they were significantly more pricy at about $130 each, but at least they work . In any case, I tried the same thing for a budget drag setup and it didn't work...if you're on a budget your best bet is prolly a set of cheap stock wheels from a junkyard or whatever
Old 09-09-2003, 01:10 PM

Thanks Johs.
Old 09-11-2003, 02:57 PM

OMG!! what coincidence! I just picked up 4 of these tires for free in decent condition from a guy locally here in Montreal,
I still have LT1 brakes so 15" are not prob for me but I am gonna try them out as a cheap alternitive to buying new slicks and see how they work in the 1/4 tonight, I will let you guy's know what the results are tomorrow.
Old 09-12-2003, 08:10 AM

my LS1 brakes are just in the front, and I only tried these in the back. They won't clear the LT1 rear caliper. No way in hell they'd clear anything in the front, prolly not even a bare rotor
Old 09-12-2003, 09:25 AM

yeah figure that out at the track when I put them on for the first time last night!! man was I pissed! and the shortly after that my A/C stopped working! and then I eaither burnt a plug wire or something is wrong with i gnition system because my car is now stumbling like a ****! and the to top it all off leaving the track I get pulled over for a verification of lisence and registration and the cop took his sweet time and had me sitting there for a 1/2 hour for no reason at all!!

what a crappy night!

do you think if I grind down the callipers a bit they will work?
Old 09-12-2003, 09:48 AM

I've heard with the welds you have to just grind off the cooling fins....with the stock car wheels, I ground off the fins...then I ground into the "meat" of the caliper. Took off a good 1/8". Still didn't fit. Woulda had to take off at least 1/4" of thickness, prolly more...I'm not sure how thick that part of the caliper is, but I wouldn't want to remove that much material. Hell, by the time you did that, rendered your calipers useless, and replaced em, you coulda bought a set of cheap draglites