Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

Best Ram Air?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 09:24 PM

Best Ram Air?

Any body have any results on their ram air setup and how effective it was in increasing 1/4 mile mph?

I put on 2 mph with the setup shown below.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:55 AM

The SSRA on my 00 formy was good for a solid 1mph at 110mph. Haven't tested it at my level now. Might just do that.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:40 PM

nice andy it is a straighter shot then mine...

I have the same thing but it snakes out and down in front of the radiator to a 3X12 opening under the front end, I got about 2 MPH out of it too...
Old 07-23-2008, 02:54 PM

Is that for real?

Why not do something relatively clean with it instead of a PVC tube out the hood? Maybe mold a scoop into the hood or something.

I'm not blindly talking smack (I have a custom ram air intake too), but that is a bit farther than I would go.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:07 PM

Andy, that set-up rocks...the quest for speed is strong within this young jedi...
Old 07-23-2008, 09:50 PM

I took a hard look at ram airs for quite some time. It seems the most effective one was on a 70 something firebird. It had the two scoops on the leading edge of the hood raised up 2 inches off the hood, or so. It puts the scoop right in a high pressure air stream as the air is forced around the front of the car. Most others like cowl hoods are secondary (at least in my mind) ram airs, they wait for pressure to build then ram air backward into the ducts (to lame to mimic), although they certainly look way cool.

AL-post your testing for everyone.

1slowformula-I thought about using the two fake openings the firebird has (are they fog light mounts?) and tying them into a single tube up and over the radiatior into the TB. Seemed like to much work and to many turns. Sounds like it does work and would look nice.

tireburnin-I just bought some sheet steel to make a scoop. It'll be removeable or have a sealable opening. I have till the snows falls for that, shouldn't take that long. What's shown is the "race trim" package. I'm also going to paint the hood black.

cowle-dam straight!
Old 07-24-2008, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by andy katzelis
1slowformula-I thought about using the two fake openings the firebird has (are they fog light mounts?) and tying them into a single tube up and over the radiatior into the TB. Seemed like to much work and to many turns. Sounds like it does work and would look nice.
I think you mean something like this?
X
X

I call it the "LT1 Gulp" because it somewhat follows the design of Madman's "Big Gulp" for his LS1 cars. I built/designed it out of aluminum. These pictures are early in the build process. It is now painted black like the center of the bumper and blends in well. I picked up 2+ mph in the 8th mile with it.

Last edited by tireburnin; 07-29-2008 at 05:36 PM.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:20 PM

this looks like a bad *** set up that would force a lot of air into the engine... 1 concern - air filter?????

im actually in the middle of doing something like this, just debating where to put the filter, and what type of filter to use

Last edited by chads97z; 07-24-2008 at 12:58 PM.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:51 PM

Definately not a street car mod. I run a layer of screen and a layer of fabric in the top of the cone area. I am sure some dirt gets by, but my car sees less than 100 miles per year. It is a risk vs. reward thing. I would not do this on a street car.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:21 PM

tireburnin, wanna send one of those my way? That is a sweet set-up. make a price up and let me know.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:55 PM

tireburnin - The front end of a firebird is different than a camaro and I don't have the radiator in the stock location anymore. That would not work for me. It is an excellent piece of work. Nice job!

Do you not run the car in the quarter?
Old 07-24-2008, 05:56 PM

tireburnin - The front end of a firebird is different than a camaro and I don't have the radiator in the stock location anymore. That would not work for me. It is an excellent piece of work. Nice job!

Do you not run the car in the quarter?
I'm familiar with the shape of the Firebird, I was just showing that where there is a will, there is a way. I originally set out to use the fog lights for air, but the person who helped me build this setup had this idea.

We cutout the center of the bumper (leaving the vertical supports by the fog lights) and made a face plate for the bumper. I will be working on some block off plates in the fog light area to force more air in and make for a cleaner look. After painting it looks great and the black leaves the impression of a stock bumper without the red chevy emblem.

Around here we only have 8th mile tracks. The nearest 1/4 is 3 hours away. The intake made significant middle and top end difference. So much more air over the K&N FIPK that I had to add fuel. After tuning for the intake I picked up 2mph and ran near my personal best NA in 2200 feet of air more than my best.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by tomcowle
tireburnin, wanna send one of those my way? That is a sweet set-up. make a price up and let me know.
Haha.

I had a neighbor who does custom metal work make it with me. There is probably $80 in supplys and I am a couple of hundred into it labor wise. It wouldn't be cheap if I had to reproduce it.

I am swaping to an LS3 setup and guess which part is staying around for the new motor?
Old 07-25-2008, 06:05 AM

AL-post your testing for everyone.
With the LS1 and an SSRA I use the stock air box, filter, and an aftermarket lid. You cut out the bottom of the air box and the SSRA feeds thru there. I built a block off plate for the factory front opening so that all of the pressure/feed was from the bottom. Then I built a plate to block off the bottom. So then I could run with plate 1 = factory intake or plate 2 SSRA only.
On consecutive runs 2 SSRA then 2 factory with only a minute to swap plates. Then 2 SSRA again. All SSRA runs were 1 tenth et and 1 mph better that factory.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:17 AM

tireburnin - that is a great looking system, I started fabbing something like that up but it was taking too long and I couldn't get it right, so I went the cheap way...

Quick Reply: Best Ram Air?