Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

Almost time..few questions..

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2003, 10:14 PM

Almost time..few questions..

Well the track opens up on April 6th. I don't think I'm going to run it on nitrous that day, but want to on April the 9th. Got a few questions. I'm about 99.99% sure my car is going to do a pretty big wheelie off the line on spray and probably do a sizeable one on motor. Is there anything I can or need to do to insure it has a nice soft and gentle landing?

Also for all you guys running the big shots... How do you have your nitrous set up etc. I'm wanting to run a 400 shot, I have a dual stage set up w/ a Progressive controller. I was thinking about launching on a 150shot, have the controller put in another 100 w/in 1 second, and then the final 150 shot hit about 2 seconds after that. (though max shot I'll use for now is probably like a small 200 to 250 shot, just to make sure all is well)

Also, not sure about suspension tunning. I'm running BMR Xtreme Torque Arm, BMR Xtreme Drag Race Sway Bar, and LCA relocation brackets in the back(on the 2nd setting). Up Front I have hal 12 way Adj shocks. The only thing left stock on the suspension is the rear springs(which I think I may go w/ V6 springs, but am thinking my 106k mile V8s will prolly do ok)

Whats the best adjusting for the Hals up front?
Whats the best pinon angle on the Torque Arm?

The car isn't 100% finished yet but should be by then. A few have followed it's very slow progress over the last couple of years, I'm really hopping this year is the year!

Oh, and finally. I'm running a factory fuel pump on the car(that I replaced 2k miles ago) and a NOS inline booster. I know it sounds crazy, but do you think it will get the job done. Unlike Supercharger/turbo cars, I don't think nitrous cars need as big of a fuel set up. I don't really mind changing to a big walbro unit, but would like to avoid that if possible, such a PITA to drop the tank. And cutting the top out wont work cause thats where I mount my nitrous bottle If I should change the pump, whats the biggest direct replacement walbro pump?

Thanks,
Jason
Old 03-10-2003, 11:11 AM

Jason,

It's not a matter of record....you've gone mad...

Anyway....Walbro 340 I think is the biggest in-tank replacement.

Get it....to be safe. Should have swapped that in when you changed the rearend.... What were you thinking...?

Let us know how she flies on the first outting.

I can't speak to the Hal settings, but try about -3deg pinion angle for starters. Get some front end limiters to control the drop. Don't launch too hard....
Old 03-10-2003, 12:10 PM

Hehe yeah I've gone insane

Well just wasn't thinking about changing the fuel pump when I did the rear or I woulda, now it's gonna be a real PITA. Oh well gotta do what ya gotta do. The guy doing my cage is taking his sweet time. Gonna be 2 more weeks till I get car back and I have a lot of stuff to do. 3 weeks if I have him do a true dual exhaust, exiting the rear of the car.

Yeah I'm really curious to see what she runs. Still hoping to knock out an 8 second pass on nitrous, but may not be till the end of the season. I'll let ya know what the car does in april though.

Do you have a part number for the front end limiters? And yeah I'm hoping since I only have a 3800 stall convertor that on the transbreak it doesn't go too crazy. But on nitrous it's gonna be insane

Thanks,
Jason