Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

Z28 wont stay cranked...computer?????

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 08:34 PM

Z28 wont stay cranked...computer?????

Ok guys i got a 93 z28 5.7 stock, but cant get it to stay cranked! Never had any trouble till today....It's turning over but aint hitting on nothing!!!! My husband can unhook the battery cable ends and it will crank up run about 30 seconds to a min then DIES! And it dont matter how hard u getting down on it or if u just letting it idle! Battery is charging and they putting in 4:11 gears. But once they in we cant go anywhere! Help please!!!???!!!
Old 05-03-2010, 09:51 PM
Administrator

Probably a bit of confusion over the terminology... many people use the term "crank" to describe the starter turning the engine, before it starts. It appears that your starter is cranking (rotating) the engine fine, but when the engine starts it will not stay running for more than 30 seconds. Or is it something else?

Have you scanned it for codes? You don't need a scanner on the 93. You can flash the codes on the SES light:

Courtesy of Shoebox

http://shbox.com/1/dlc2.jpg
Old 05-03-2010, 09:52 PM

When it dies, you need to see if it is losing spark or fuel. A pressure test gauge attached to the fuel rail will tell you if it has correct fuel pressure. It might also help to get a scanner on it to read some real time data to see what is going on.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:56 PM

i am sorry, but i do not understand a word of what you are saying

you are going to have to slow down and carefully explain your problem and what exactly lead to the issue, and we would be more than happy to do everything we can to help

did you do anything to the car, or you just went to start it and it would not start

also like injuneer stated getting the codes is very important, also can you hear the fuel pump turn on when you turn the key to the "on" position
Old 05-04-2010, 10:07 AM

Yes we can hear the fuel pump when u turn the key on. We had done nothing to it just went to get in it and it would not run. It would crank but it will not stay running. They would unhook the battery cable end and back up then it would crank, but soon go dead. Where is the SES light or where can I get one. Sorry guys as far as the bad terminology and the fact I am a girl from the south, lol no offense to anyone we just kinda talk like rednecks down here! Thanks to everyone we need all the help we can get. Oh and P.S. some of this stuff is greek to me but I'll catch on if my husband dont already know what yall are talking about. He should be the one doing this!
Old 05-04-2010, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by kgipson
Yes we can hear the fuel pump when u turn the key on. We had done nothing to it just went to get in it and it would not run. It would crank but it will not stay running. They would unhook the battery cable end and back up then it would crank, but soon go dead. Where is the SES light or where can I get one. Sorry guys as far as the bad terminology and the fact I am a girl from the south, lol no offense to anyone we just kinda talk like rednecks down here! Thanks to everyone we need all the help we can get. Oh and P.S. some of this stuff is greek to me but I'll catch on if my husband dont already know what yall are talking about. He should be the one doing this!
SES = Service Engine Soon light. It lights up on the dash when the computer is requesting your attention for something.

What they are asking is if the light is on when it is running?
Old 05-04-2010, 10:32 AM

Ha! I knew that...NOT! Anyways no the SES light is not coming on. One time when he did get it running it did pop back. It sounded like it had a lot of compression. And is was not the exhaust system.