Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

why wont anyone help

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 03:50 PM

why wont anyone help

The above diagram to bypass only looks as if it's to be used if your key pellet or lock cylinder contacts have gone bad. If the actual VATS module is at fault, that wouldn't appear to be the way to go. Have you actually measured the pellet resistance with an ohm meter on the key or at the column wiring as in the diagram? What did it show if so?
Old 03-24-2013, 03:51 PM

Re: why wont anyone help

i put the key in and checked the ohms at the wire under the dash and read 3.00 ohms then pulled key and got nothing.then jumped purple and yellow wire on plug to passkey module and got same start symptom,starts right up each time 10 sec and die
Old 03-24-2013, 03:54 PM

also i tried the 10 minute thing with no luck and the security light comes on for about 3 sec and goes off.i dont think it ever came on otherwise
Old 03-24-2013, 03:56 PM

why wont anyone help

Hmm. Do you get the same resistance through the key as well? You can ohm directly across the key pellet just to see if the value is the same, which would be a good way to proof the wiring in the column. This may sound stupid, but maybe try tilting the column to a different angle as well, VERY long shot, but if the wiring in the column has become compromised and is slightly shorting to ground....just a thought.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:00 PM

i just want to say how much i appreciate the help and i am going out to try the noid light
Old 03-24-2013, 04:02 PM

i got the same resistance at the key as well also i did a scratch test to the injectors at the module on the purple and white wires,purple did nothing but white wire made inj click
Old 03-24-2013, 04:07 PM

why wont anyone help

No problem at all, I wish I could be of more definitive help! Whatever the problem is, it has to be something stupid, just a little smarter than us at the time being lol.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:11 PM

I would try the resistor bypass next. Here are the resistor values:

Name:  VATSValues_zpse7f35b53.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  42.7 KB

Figure out which one yours is, get the correponding resistor and plug it in the system as shown in the "how-to" by shoebox.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:19 PM

why wont anyone help

The chart that Randy just posted is interesting. According to the chart, there aren't any acceptable values less then 402 Ohms. Do you have a different key by chance? I'm about to ohm mine out of curiosity, and so I know for future reference.

I'd bet yours is a "code 9" reading in M ohms. I just checked mine it read 4.675 which I'm thinking is an 11.....currently have no issues with mine. Now everyone can head to my house with a resistor to take my car joyriding LOL

Last edited by jloshotz; 03-24-2013 at 04:28 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:00 PM

Out of curiosity, I went and measured mine. It comes within 1 ohm of one of the specified values.

I would re-measure your pellet and see if it lines up with one of those values.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:09 PM

TDM does 3 things 1-allows starter to run, 2- keeps car running 3- signals different failures with security indicator on/off/flashing/etc, all covered in documention in earlier links. Unless the Theft Deterrent relay has been bypassed the car will not start if anything is wrong with they key. If it starts then Theft Deterrent (TDM) module says the key is correct. Next thing is the TDM sends a signal to PCM that allows the fuel to continue running. The DTC 46 says that signal (fuel enable) to PCM is missing after 1.7 seconds after starting, Once the rails run out of primed fuel pressure it stalls.. . indicates defective TDM. Need new one or an ebay TDM bypass module, or reprogramming. If Theft deterrent relay has been bypassed then ignore this post as your running a 1/2 way hacked non stock setup..

Last edited by bobdec; 03-24-2013 at 05:15 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:12 PM

I knew someone would chime in that knew exactly what was going on.

Thanks Bobdec!

There you go Dave, Either bypass the TDM or get a new one...crappy news, but at least you know where to look now.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:21 PM

Dave, if you are good with a soldering iron, or know someone who is, here is a link to bypass the VATS and send the correct pulse signal to the ECM.

PASSkey II bypass box

Hope this helps!

EDIT: I just priced these components out at Radio Shack. $21.08 for everything, including the project box to contain it. I have seen them sold online for $170++++.....

Last edited by Randy Bilyea; 03-24-2013 at 05:35 PM. Reason: pricing added
Old 03-24-2013, 05:30 PM

why wont anyone help

I'm glad that bobdec has chimed in as well. He certainly has alot of knowledge under his belt. With the way he explained it, it definitely would seem the module went bad. The only thing I'd still like to know (if anyone does), is with a replacement module, would that be for arguments sake, a "dealer only" type of purchase? As in, to make the box accept his pellet value? If the pellet resistance is known, can it be ordered with the "code" in the above chart?
Old 03-24-2013, 06:26 PM

i tried a resister setup close to my key and bypassed under dash at purple and white wire connector,same thing, my key measured 2.98 to 3.00 ohms.i assuming that was # 9.i guess ill get the stuff at radio shack for the lady that owns the car has no money and its the old ladys niece.if i take this list to radio shack will they know what i need or will i look like an idiot