Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

USB Cable Connection (laptop - port) problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 03:46 PM

Unhappy USB Cable Connection (laptop - port) problems

Hello All
This is actually not for My Z but for my wife's VW OBD2
Ive tried to ask the same question on VW forum but havent recived any usefull answers.
I'm having an issue with connecting my laptop to a PCM
Since her car recently started throwing a codes and running really bad (98 VW Beetle, 2.0, auto, less then a 100K KM on it)
I've recently got the USB cable from Ebay
Cable from Ebay I have a whole bunch of soft on the laptop (vagcom 3.11, Autotap, numerous free code readers).
Now here is connection problem.
I have installed the soft for the cable, and it issued the COM 9 to it. once I try to run Vag-Com / Autotap in the car it show's connection under COM 3 with the LED TEST going OK. But once I try to read the codes, it gives me an Error (port is busy).
I've tried manually over-right the COM 3 in the "Hardware Profile" but after that it doesn't give me an access to port through software at all.
I have a new Laptop. When I go to the "Hardware Profile - COM Port properties" it shows about 8 ports in use by something
I've tried to uninstall / install the port, disable all COM ports except for cable one and by now I'm pretty sure I've messed up my laptop too.
Please help me out on the installation / connection procedure.
Thank you in advance
Alex
Old 02-12-2007, 07:35 PM

So when you installed the cable drivers, it defaulted to use COM9? Are you sure you installed the drivers? If so, try going to "device manager" while the cable is pluged in. Open the cables "properties" and open the "advanced" tab. From there, choose the "COM" tab and change it to what ever COM you want; I use COM5. Save the settings. Then go to the scanning software you are using and open it's settings. From there choose the same COM port that the cable is using. Try this if you haven't done so already. I had to figure that out myself when I got my cable. I changed my settings to use COM3 when it was already "in use", but it didn't hurt anything. Well, at least I haven't found any problems yet! Hope this helps. Let me know.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:46 PM

unfortunatly I've tried it already (thanks anyway)
Ive tried to install and reinstall the port about 5 times by now. their is no notisable hdwr issue - at list nothing is showing.
the problem is, all the software that I have is allowing me to choose from ports 1 to 3.
This whole idea is becomming a real PITA - a specially sitting in the cold garage, trying to reconf my laptop.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:02 PM

Next you can verify if the cable is even making a connection to your car (an issue with the cable). You can check this by using HyperTerminal by going to start>all programs>accessories>communications.