Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

tunercat/ Knock sensor

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 04:40 PM

tunercat/ Knock sensor

How do I desensatize or turn of the knock control using TC?
Old 10-01-2005, 02:06 PM

Re: tunercat/ Knock sensor

There are like 5 tables that relate to this I believe.

Knock Fast Attack Rate vs. RPM
Knock Retard Recovery Rate vs. RPM
Max Knock Retard vs. RPM (in P.E.)
Max Knock Retard vs. MAP (non P.E.)
Burst Knock Retard vs. Coolant Temp

Then there are like 4 more that relate to low octane. They all start with "Low Octane" followed by something. So if you are wanting to do this because of running a lower fuel grade use those instead of the above ones.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:22 PM

Why would you want to turn of you knock control? You can seriously damage you engine if you are getting real knock.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by smoknta
Why would you want to turn of you knock control? You can seriously damage you engine if you are getting real knock.
Lets be serious. I own a Mustang that at one point made 500rwhp. It was a 97 sohc which dont come with knock sensors. My point is alot of cars dont have them and get by just fine. I wanted to turn mine off until I was able to get the issues worked out but Im ok now. My biggest issue now is I have a LT1 KM and I hear it's way to sensative for my mods. Now I just want to desesatize it using TC.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:54 AM

Are you getting knock? With your 94, you can get a LT4 knock module that will desensitize the knock control. That is what most people will do. I would not advise on turning it off, but thats your call. I know alot of cars dont have it, but alot of older cars dont have rev limiters. Does that mean you dont need one of those to? To me its just one more way to protect my investment. If your getting false knock, just find out what it is and fix, the same with real knock. The LT4 knock module is a great way to desensitze after modding your motor, especially with aftermarket rollerrockers and headers.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by smoknta
Are you getting knock? With your 94, you can get a LT4 knock module that will desensitize the knock control. That is what most people will do. I would not advise on turning it off, but thats your call. I know alot of cars dont have it, but alot of older cars dont have rev limiters. Does that mean you dont need one of those to? To me its just one more way to protect my investment. If your getting false knock, just find out what it is and fix, the same with real knock. The LT4 knock module is a great way to desensitze after modding your motor, especially with aftermarket rollerrockers and headers.
I only wanted to turn it off until I was able to fix the sensor itself, now it's fixxed. I know most people use the lt4 km but couldnt the same thing be achieved through the computer with tuning? Either way the LT4 km isnt that expensive so I hope to have one soon. My tuner was suppose to send me one but I dont know what happened.