Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

Question about adjusting timing...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2003, 01:12 PM

Question about adjusting timing...

See sig for mods... when the car is warmed up occasionally I get knock retard but it usually only comes right as I'm shifting to the next gear or when I punch it. Basically big throttle changes result in knock... what can I do to change that?

Also, I have a slight buck/hesitation at low RPM low throttle, are there any tuning issues that could be the culprit???

One more question, I occasionally get some knock in the midrange around 3.5-4k. What can I do with either timing or fuel to compensate for that?

ONE MORE!!!!! Should I leave burst retard in? I had it programmed out a while ago. Do the majority leave it in or out???
Old 07-23-2003, 10:16 PM

Burst knock out.
Old 07-24-2003, 11:31 AM

I have burst knock out too.

BUT, if you're getting actual knock (counts going up) when you punch the throttle, and you have burst knock disabled... then perhaps you should put it back in; a degree or two, to prevent the knock.

Because, that's its whole purpose, to prevent the detonation you're experiencing (big sudden airflow changes).
Old 07-24-2003, 09:23 PM

Re: Question about adjusting timing...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 96 WS6
[B]See sig for mods... when the car is warmed up occasionally I get knock retard but it usually only comes right as I'm shifting to the next gear or when I punch it. Basically big throttle changes result in knock... what can I do to change that?[b][quote]

Burst knock, and just the fact that you have a 6 speed. Never seen a 6 speed that doesn't pull a bunch of timing on a shift.

Also, I have a slight buck/hesitation at low RPM low throttle, are there any tuning issues that could be the culprit???
You might want to try 1 or 2 more degrees of timing. Or you could upshift.

One more question, I occasionally get some knock in the midrange around 3.5-4k. What can I do with either timing or fuel to compensate for that?
I'd rather try taking 1 or 2 degrees of timing out. Could also try adding just a bit of fuel in the pe vs rpm. Of course, that's assuming this is wot?
How is your fueling handled for the blower? All in the ECM or FMU or the like?

ONE MORE!!!!! Should I leave burst retard in? I had it programmed out a while ago. Do the majority leave it in or out???
I used to disable burst knock too. A wise man once told me to just desensitize it, that it's there for a reason.