Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

programming questions. new to trynna tune a computer controled car

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 09:05 AM

programming questions. new to trynna tune a computer controled car

this maybee covered already....but my googled links to here didnt show much in my months of hit n miss searches so...ill ask. my 96 m6 has a 95 ecm in it...which made pulling engine codes a bit tricky...apparently nothing that oreilys or autozone has will read it so i used a real scanner from a friends....which showed maf problems but also showed up a 3 to 2 downshift problem which is how it was determind it was an auto computer....my question is

if i buy the lt1 tuning kit ive seen thats part of tuner cat and one other program for data logging. can i change it to a 6 speed setting...possibly have my skip shuft light work again?
iam trynna get all the tuning stuff just so i can save the tune i have now but also play around with it a bit.

im not even sure of what kinda tuning if any has been done....i do know i can get sideways at 25 mph
Old 09-26-2014, 10:15 AM
Administrator

Re: programming questions. new to trynna tune a computer controled car

A 96 PCM (powertrain control module) is OBD-II. A 95 PCM is OBD-I with a 16-pin OBD-II style ALDL connector. That's the part that throws them... they hook up an OBD-II scanner and it won't connect. You need to use an OBD-I scanner, with an 12-pin to 16-pin adapter cable, or jumper the connectors as shown by shoebox:

http://shbox.com/1/xraycable.jpg

You can tune yourself, or send the PCM to a mail-order tuner. Just needs an M6 program loaded into it. The 94 and newer cars use a 4L60E transmission, and that means it's shifted by the PCM.

But, the code you got was probably DTC 84. That applies to both the A4 trans (3-2 control solenoid), and the M6 trans (skip shift solenoid). So, the code you got does not necessarily mean you have an A4 trans program in the PCM.

Does the "reverse lockout" work - the solenoid that prevents you from shifting into reverse unless the car is stopped? If you are easily able to move the lever right, into the reverse position, your solenoid is working, and that means its being controlled by an M6 program. If you had an A4 program, you would have to strongarm the M6 shift lever into the reverse slot.

There is very limited software for tuning the LT1:

CARPUTING.COM

TunerCat

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/com...torial-759772/
Old 10-13-2014, 05:02 PM
Administrator

Re: programming questions. new to trynna tune a computer controled car

Interesting. Posted a question more than 2 weeks ago, then never bothered to come back to look at the response.