Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

opti spark / icm questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 10:03 AM

opti spark / icm questions

My car is currently cranking, but not starting. I've checked the fuel pressure and it primes to ~42 with the key in the ON position. I checked to see if I was getting spark from the coil when the car was cranking and the rare sparks were very small.

I decided to check the ICM plug to make sure the signal from the PCM was being sent. With the car cranking, I measured ~.3 AC volts with only small fluctuations at the B terminal. Is it supposed to always be between 1 and 4 volts when the car is cranking, or only when the signal to trigger the coil is sent from the PCM?

I have checked the A and D terminals on the ICM harness and they were both ~11.66v DC. Does this sound like the ICM is having problems or the optispark just isn't sending the signals? What else can I test to help narrow it down?

More info:
I replaced the opti spark about 3 months before this happened. Car died for the first time a couple of days ago, but used to restart afterward. It would die sooner if the engine was warmer. It was in open loop when it died. Computer didn't throw any codes (OBD-1).

I replaced the spark plug wires before it died and it ran fine for a couple of minutes until it sounded like it was running out of fuel/spark then died.

I recently replaced the coil after it wouldn't start just to make sure the other one wasn't bad.
Old 04-22-2004, 11:52 AM

Re: opti spark / icm questions

Check the harness at the Opti for corrosion. I've had this twice and it was that harness that got eaten and ate my opti too (screwed up the connectors down in the opti where that plug goes). Do you by chance have a H2O pump leak or oil leak?

Last time I did my Opti (cus of this problem), I used dielectric grease and packed that connector pretty well so hopefully I wont have this problem again. Those weather packs dont work worth a crap imo.

{edit}

BTW, iirc the signal that you should get is coming from the opti. Are you following the no start troubleshooting from a chiltons or similar? It should point you to the problem pretty well.

Last edited by wile2k; 04-22-2004 at 11:54 AM.