Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

No juice..but batteries good??

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 11:53 AM

No juice..but batteries good??

--alright..I got finished replacing my ingition wires and opti and putting everything back on. I know for a fact its on right (I have plenty of experience with Optis lol). The car went to turn over and it would try to then just make a POPPING sound then smoke comes out of the engine bay. I found out its internal because when I open the butterflies on the throttle body it comes out of that spot mostly. This may be due to the fact I had the fuel rails and injectors off for a few weeks and something got in...maybe?

--But now I have a new problem . I tried turning the ignition on yesterday...and nothing. I know for a fact its not the battery. I hooked my truck up to it and it wouldnt even give it any juice (in other words..with truck giving it power..still no dash lights or anything indicating its getting voltage at all). I tested the battery and its fully charged. At one point I pulled the PCM IGN (i think thats it) fuse and put it back in with the keys in the accessory position..and I got all my power back. Then when I went to crank it over it all died again. I figured somehow I may have fried my PCM but how? I dont know now if these two issues are related or just bad timing..??
--So..after replacing my ignition wires and opti..I have a bad pop and smoke.
Then after several attempts to turn the engine over (it actually almost starts) the whole computer system shut down. But if that is fried..it wouldnt have kept trying to come on. Now I have nothing at all. Stuck here guys
How do I check my computer? Is it possible I fried a few wires within the car somewhere..and how could I have possibly done that?

Last edited by 1Qwik94Z; 10-28-2004 at 11:56 AM.
Old 10-29-2004, 12:49 AM

Re: No juice..but batteries good??

thats funny. i just finished testing my car. ive had the same problem in my car for a couple of months now. i would drive it sometimes and it would suddenly turn off in the middle of the street. all the dash lights would go off too. i had to get it towed home. i checked for power in the fuses and there was no power in the pcm ign fuse. there should only be power in the pcm ign fuse when the key is turned in the run position. the pcm bat fuse should always have power. even when the keys in the off position. i didnt want to spend a lot of time to fix it so i just got a 12 gauge wire and went from the hvac fuse to the pcm ign fuse. try what i did. it might work. today, i took off the jumper wire from hvac fuse to pcm bat fuse expecting the car not to turn on but it did. so i dont know if it fixed itself. im going to check it again tomorrow.