Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

LT1 with No Spark or Injector Pulse

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 12:29 PM

LT1 with No Spark or Injector Pulse

I have been troubleshooting an LT1 in an S10 that will not start. There is no spark or injector pulse. It is a 97 LT1 with a 96-97 LT1 Street and Performance harness and custom programed PCM. We have a new AC Delco distributor. I have GM service manuals and have checked the nostart charts. There is power and ground to both the coil driver and the distributor. There is a measureable signal from the low res and high res on the distributor. I also checked every pin on the PCM connector for power and ground. There is no signal to the coil driver or injection pulse. The computer was sent back to Street and Performance and checked out OK. The PCM has the VATs deleted and it was run at their shop without any VATs input to it. They have told us to try to start the vehicle with starter fluid and that this has happened to another customer of theirs. Of course I couldn't understand how this works with no spark unless there is a spark for a few seconds when we start cranking. My OTC Monitor looses the datasteam when cranking. I can't read the low res pulse timing like with a Tech 2. Is there anything else that could cause no spark and fuel injection pulse. The only thing left is that the new distributor is bad.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:47 AM

Re: LT1 with No Spark or Injector Pulse

There has been no new information on everything I posted about previously. We have rechecked everything and came up with the same info. The question I have is for people that have their VATS deleted. Do you get P1626 codes after deleting the VATS? Does your scanner data show the Pass Key Fuel as Disabled? In a normal PCM this state indicates the VATS is disabling the fuel to the engine. Street and Performance is telling me this is OK since the VATS is disabled in the PCM. Has anyone replaced their distibutor with a new AC Delco and not had ignition and fuel pulses?

Last edited by AtlantaRTA; 04-28-2005 at 11:44 AM.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:17 AM

Re: LT1 with No Spark or Injector Pulse

I was having the same problem, plus my fuel pump relay would not turn on, it turned out to be one simple wire run wrong that was my BAT to PCM wire. I had the Power on Run wire hooked up right and was getting power to the coil and distributor, and after I checked to where the orange BAT to PCM wire was going to, after hooking up a constant on 12v to it, the engine fired right up. I don't have the ALDL port hooked up yet, so I can't tell you if I'm throwing a code for having the VATS disabled in the PCM or not though.

Check for power on pin D3 on the Blue connector, that's the pink wire which should be on switched power, with the key in run, then check B15 and B31 on the black connector for power as well which should be on a constant 12v source