Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

LS1 PCM on LT1.

Old 12-12-2007, 06:37 PM

I'm working on setup right now, that will use the 96+ LT1 timing cover, with a Vortec 8100 crank trigger wheel inside. This will provide the proper LS1 style 24x crank trigger.

Timing cover will be modified along with timing gear, such that the 1x cam signal is generated. the vortec 8100 has cam siginal on the timing cover, as does 3800 v6 applications.

The two hall effect sensors will need power, ground, and a signal for each. 4 wires, same as stock opti harness.

Engine harness I am building from scratch. however, an adaptor harness could be made to plug a stock lt1 harness into adaptor, then plug into ls1 pcm. Connectors can be bought from Delphi's distributor. Or you could also repin you're connectors. The pins of a LT1 connector are identical to the pins in a LS1 connector.

To tackle the firing order differences, we are simply re-routing the proper injector lead to correct positon on motor, same with coil packs.

this setup will be an open loop drag race setup on vortec supercharged LT1.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:38 PM

I've got an idea about the Opti signal...I read this post from the beginning, It's a great idea, sounds like to get the LS PCM working you need one of the following:

1) Opti signal converter box with reduced output (forget exatly what but about 1/4 less signals on the opti wheel
2) Crank trigger
3) Some way to signal from the OBDII crank sensor.
4) My idea is to modify the existing Opti wheel by simply filling in the "extra" holes on the 360 hi-res side with JB weld or even gasket maker. If all it needs is lower resolution I think you could just count the holes, fill in the required amount, and be done with it rather than building a converter box to do essentially the same thing.

The only other problem that I see with that is the PCM would not know what cylinder to fire.. I believe that's what the low res signal does using the 4 different sized holes. Now using the Opti cap/rotor the distributor could obviosly send the spark where it needs to go but the injectors (on sequential fire) would not know what cyl to fire... so maybe run batch fire to resolve that problem.

For my setup, I dont think it's worth the hassle simply because I'm running under 7000rpm in SD using a 2 bar MAP (with proper PCM adjustments) and it runs perfect with boost reference on stock LT1 PCM.

May be worth the hassle if you need 3 bar or run over 7000rpm.

Last edited by dookie454; 12-12-2007 at 09:19 PM.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by dookie454
...For my setup, I dont think it's worth the hassle simply because I'm running under 7000rpm in SD using a 2 bar MAP (with proper PCM adjustments) and it runs perfect with boost reference on stock LT1 PCM...
Same here, with his help. My LT1 runs great with a 2 bar SD OL tune on the stock ECM.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:08 AM

I can assure you it will run better with the ls1 PCM. Specially if you have a big cam in it.

The ls1 also has two knock sensors... I have wanted to do this FOR A LONG WHILE.. i see no point in using the truck calibration because it doesn't use the 8coils.

If you guys already have a 24x signal from a crank sensor of the 8100 series then we are almost done. We need a cam signal from the opti 2x and that is it for it to fire up WITH the 8 coils. Calibration should be no issues...

Subscribing.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:10 PM

No, the old vortec truck 5.7 that is a 8.1L engine.. totally different.

It was said he was using an older vortec truck calibration that used the same 0411 pcm.

Last edited by Highlander; 01-10-2008 at 03:16 PM.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:27 AM

what sensors does the ls1 have that the lt1 doesnt? crank positon and a cam position? i am thinking about getting a ls1 computer and just adding the 2 sensors. can this this work?

the main beinfit for me would be coil on plug, better tuneability, should run my dash, should run most polution controls ect..
Old 04-17-2008, 03:41 AM

Yes except you'd have to grind the cam switch cylinders 4 & 7, but aparently it's worth it cuz that alone should gain you some power according to all the HP magazines.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:26 AM

cam

why would i have to grind the cam diffrently? could i not just hook the injector and ingniton wiring up diffrently to reflect these changes?

also what software would be best to use on a 2001 ls1 computer i would run a 2 or 3 bar map.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by akafred
why would i have to grind the cam diffrently? could i not just hook the injector and ingniton wiring up diffrently to reflect these changes?

also what software would be best to use on a 2001 ls1 computer i would run a 2 or 3 bar map.
efilive or tunercat...
Old 04-19-2008, 12:31 AM

Has anyone other than Mkos1980 come anywhere near close or even connected the wiring on this project?

Last edited by dookie454; 04-19-2008 at 12:35 AM.
Old 04-19-2008, 02:22 AM

No you can't just wire them differently well you could if you ran open loop otherwise no, aside from wiring the two coils differently as well, if you just switch injectors than when the pcm will add fuel to the right side, it will actually be adding some to the left since it doesn't know that 4/7 are switched.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:31 AM

what if you hooked both banks up to a wideband simulated narrow band output? that way it would treat the whole engine as one bank.

it may not be as cost effective as i first thought after looking into it a bit..

i would need a
99 plus ecu and harness ~ 400$
tuning software ~500$
custom cam ~300$
crank reluctor wheel of ls1 ~50$
tons of unlisted stuf ~????$

you might be into aftermarket ecu territory soon.

you could probbably do it cheaper if you could find a damaged harness..

Last edited by akafred; 04-19-2008 at 04:33 PM.
Old 04-19-2008, 02:02 PM

Its not a matter of cost effective... its a matter of a factory like system... No aftermarket computer can come close to the level of tuning you can achieve with this (other than an 8k motec, which makes this VERY cost effective)
Old 04-19-2008, 04:31 PM

so how would this work whith just one knock sensor hooked to both imputs and one simulated o2 hooked to both o2 imputs? would that solve the cam issue? or would you still need to get a custom cam?
Old 05-30-2008, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by bunker
No you can't just wire them differently well you could if you ran open loop otherwise no, aside from wiring the two coils differently as well, if you just switch injectors than when the pcm will add fuel to the right side, it will actually be adding some to the left since it doesn't know that 4/7 are switched.
i have been doing lots of research on doing this and i think i can make it work..

efi live lets you set what bank the injectors are on. you wire them according the the firing order and assign them to the correct bank..

i should be getting in a harness, coils and 2 knock sensors in a week or so. now i need to find a 411 pcm flashed with ls1 6 speed program and vats disable.

i don't want to buy efi live until i verify it will fire up.. i may end up buying and reselling if my plan doesnt work..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS1 PCM on LT1.