Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

Interesting link for noobs to datamaster

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 05:58 AM

Interesting link for noobs to datamaster

http://www.powertuneplus.com/syclone...sguide_dm.shtm

I got a cable for my car a week ago. Been kind of busy w/ work, so not much time to try scanning s/w.

Did briefly try the copy of Andy Whittaker's s/w, but no definition for my car in that version, and I couldn't quickly find a newer download.

Then looked into EFILiveV4 and got it to connect w/ "test chatter" (or whatever)... green lines returned and it looked like there was a "solid handshake"... but it was not intuitive how to use the "macros" etc...

SO, I'm thinking about downloading DataMaster and trying it... figure that being a noob I'd probably waste at least half of the 20 trials they provide

Anyway, I know the above like is for "trucks", but I figure it is worth a read.

LMK if I've missed something simple w/ the 2 s/w packages I briefly tried and/or if I should just stick w/ datamaster..

thx

John
Old 10-04-2008, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Are you sure you are connecting these OBD-I scan packages correctly to your 16-pin ALDL connector? Do you have a cable specifially for a 95 LT1?
Old 10-04-2008, 09:43 PM

yeah... I'm good to go

I downloaded datamaster for my car today...

took the time to read the well organized manual and went for a spin.

success on the first "run"... (I was sure I was going to **** away at least half of the free trials experimenting).

I only did an "engine" run first time out, but got 5-10 minutes of logging done.

My occasional SES light is apparently coming from an EGR system fault... (not sure exactly what would cause it... probably doesn't matter, because I've already removed the AIR system and when I put LTs on I'll eliminate the EGR too).

Running regular gas right now (Shortages of Premium in Charlotte due to IKE)... I did notice what looks like quite a bit of "spark retard"... up to 9* at WOT... mostly 3-4*...

I want to burn this tank of gas and then rerun w/ Premium and see what I've got..

I do have a couple of Qs:

1) When doing an "engine and transmission" logging run, does the s/w work the same way??? Just splitting logging time between the two components?

2) on the Datamaster Dyno window... what are the settings for me to use (car in sig)... Are the results from this functionality anywhere near close?? Seems like a pretty far fetch to me to extrapolate the numbers into RWHP..

I am VERY impressed w/ the s/w. Well done and documented... They could use a "wizard" interface to walk someone thru their first run, but overall very good.

JT
Old 10-05-2008, 01:17 PM
Administrator

I've never used DataMaster to log my own car (doesn't use the stock PCM), but I've looked at hundreds of data logs that people have sent me. I don't know anything about the tranny logging, and I doubt the "dyno" is going to produce much in the way of useful results. The DM graphic interface is good, and I've spotted some problems by watching the problem value, and watching for changes in the "flags" for various other parameters. Someone sent me a log recently for an engine that was running excessively rich at part load, and not passing CA emissions dyno testing. It was obvious from the DM graphic presentation that the problem started the instant the flag for CCP duty cycle changed color and the DC want to 100%. I suggested that he look for a saturated carbon canister. Not sure if that was the solution, because no feedback yet, though.

In other cases, I've found it more useful to "export" the DM .uni file in .csv format, choosing the data that I want, in the order I want it presented, then putting it in an Excel spreadsheet and using the statistical analysis and "search" capabilities of Excel to hunt down the problems. Its tedious, but it gets results.

Here's a guide to some of the values you might want to look for when evaluting your scans:

http://members.aol.com/InjuneerZZ/ScanMast.htm
Old 10-05-2008, 07:02 PM

Thx Fred. I will check out your link

JT

I am eager to get some good gas into the car and "run it" :-)
Old 10-05-2008, 09:16 PM

A couple of Qs

based on rereading your weblink ... (I recall now that I've read it a couple of times).

Now that I've actually done 1 run, and can look at the data in a semi-intelligent way, and I've got a couple of Qs.

1) Can the IAT sensor be moved from AFTER the MAF to BEFORE? Any special wiring considerations, or just cut/splice? (I mentioned "heat soak" in other threads in my new CRT elbow and now see 131*, which seems high)

2) I also see the possible performance value of a 160* thermostat... Reduce possibility of knock... right?

Once I get a couple of more runs, I'm eager to get some tuning s/w. Now that I am "high level" familiar w/ what the data logging side of the equation is, I am curious about what/how one would go about making PCM changes.

I'm going to get a good tank of gas in there and run again so I have a solid "baseline".

Thx

John T
Old 10-05-2008, 10:15 PM
Administrator

You can move the IAT sensor anywhere in the air inlet ducting. When my car still had a CAI, I drilled a hole in the metal cap of the cone filter, put a grommet in it, and pushed the IAT into the grommet. Just use wire one size larger than the IAT harness wiring. That will insure there is minimal change in the resistance of the circuit. Eliminating the heat soak may prevent the loss of a bit of ignition timing.

The 160* t'stat offers the advantage of reducing the temperature of the air entering the cylinders. That gain seems to exceed the loss of thermal efficiency due to more heat being pulled out of the combustion chambers. And, you should be able to run a couple degrees more timing advance, without experiencing detonation.