Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

Info needed on how to ZIF socket PCM and where can I get a kit to do it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 09:59 AM

Info needed on how to ZIF socket PCM and where can I get a kit to do it?

Per my other post and reading, I think I need to try another chip. I read about some kits to zif socket the PCM, where do you get these kits?
Do you just put a blank chip in it and then flash it as normal or does it need to burned in a chip burner and which chip# is it thats needed?
On a OBD1 '95 PCM.
Old 04-01-2006, 11:55 PM

Re: Info needed on how to ZIF socket PCM and where can I get a kit to do it?

I think I've finally found what I need to do
http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70887
Old 04-02-2006, 05:30 PM

You can't get true zif sockets for the PLCC32, at least not for a reasonable price. I've seen some prototyping sockets for them but they were quite big and bulky. I use and sell sockets that require a bit of force to push in the chip, but they have worked flawlessly for a long time. You can see the ones I sell here:

http://www.madz28.com/repair.php
Old 04-02-2006, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by madwolf
You can't get true zif sockets for the PLCC32, at least not for a reasonable price. I've seen some prototyping sockets for them but they were quite big and bulky. I use and sell sockets that require a bit of force to push in the chip, but they have worked flawlessly for a long time. You can see the ones I sell here:

http://www.madz28.com/repair.php
Yeah, now that I found out they were the square chips with legs all the way around I guess they would be more difficult to make than the regular chips.

For your PCM socketing, Item#2 on your repair list, does that include the flash repair, Item#1 ?
I've pretty much decided my soldering skills for those tiny chip legs will be a challenge for me.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:50 PM

Yes, that does include repair.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:57 AM

Great thanks. I need to track down another PCM first, then I may be sending you a couple to socket/reflash. I've started having a false knock issue arise in my '95 TA, I had the same issue once before in my LT4 truck, turned out that replacing the PCM corrected it..could have been the knock module I guess too, so I'm waiting for a new knock module for the "old" PCM that I ready have that gets the false knock...the one I "fried" is sitting on the bench, but it was having the same false knock issue is why I was trying to reflash it when it fried/lost connection.

If KM fixes the spare one I have then I'll send the bad one off for you to fix. If it doesn't fix it, then I'll try a whole new PCM, if the false knock is still there then I know its not the PCM...the false knock is there at the very lightest accelleration.