Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

If I bought LT1 edit, could some of you experts on here help me out.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2003, 08:58 PM

Location: Albuquerque,NM--5,600 feet above you sea-level cats
If I bought LT1 edit, could some of you experts on here help me out.

I've put alot of money into this new motor, and don't want to go the mail order route. We have a couple of Dyno's here so that's not a problem. I'm just nervous about doing it myself, as I've never done it before. Were do I start??? Like timming through out the rpm band, fuel and all the other things.

And, where can I buy LT1 edit from. All the magor tuners are just too far away. My last tune was done by Fast Chips(mail order), but was just on LS1 Tech, and everyone there is just bashing on him. Thanks

Neal
Old 06-08-2003, 08:23 PM

If you've never tuned anything before and you're a little nervous I would suggest you get a base tune from someone...
Then if you want to buy LT1 Edit go for it. People in this forum will definitely help.
Old 06-08-2003, 11:20 PM

Thanks

Where or who might be able to give me the base tune. I can sent the computer out any time, if that works.
Old 06-09-2003, 12:22 AM

There is an advertiser on this site that seems to have really good things said about him and his work. I've never used him for any tuning, but I have sent others to him and have asked him many questions and he's always helped me out.
I'm sure he'll chime in shortly, won't you Ion.
Old 06-09-2003, 12:25 AM

Oh, I didn't reply to his post because he mentioned he didn't want any mail order tuning.... I can help on the board with questions you might have, just like Dan does, or if you do decide you want a tune, at least to point you in the right direction, let me know.
Old 06-09-2003, 06:58 PM

Thanks guys. I just need to have the pcm flashed to get rid of Ed Wrights tune. Then I'll need help from there.
Old 06-11-2003, 11:45 PM

You havn't got that thing running yet?lol
Thanks for the intake. Alan
Old 06-12-2003, 09:53 AM

Not yet. Had to put things on hold, but now it's almost done. Sure hope the intake worked out for you. Did you get the motor in yet???
Old 06-12-2003, 11:58 AM

Don't reflash your PCM to get rid of Eds tune, get your software and cable. Be it Tuner Cat or LT1 Edit. Either program is good. Edit is VIN locked so it can only be used on one single PCM, Tuner Cat is not locked and is cheaper and uses the same cable.

I personally use Tuner Cat for OBD1 stuff and all other prom style ECMs.

With either program do a PCM read and send me Eds file. I just cracked one of his files for another member on this forum. I can do the same for you and that will give you a good base tune.

Opps just noticed that you have OBD2, sorry OBD2 files are encrypted I don't have anything that I can use to crack it

Last edited by tjwong; 06-12-2003 at 12:01 PM.
Old 06-12-2003, 12:19 PM

i got it in after it rainned that following weekend. I know you are past ready to get that beast of yours running! Thanks again for helping me so fast, don't forget if you ever need a reference for saleing anything make sure to use me, this guys is great to deal with! Alan
Old 06-12-2003, 12:46 PM

Oh about your question,
Are you still running OBD2?
I switched over to OBD1 and have had no problem at all, and its easyer and cheaper to tune OBD1. I got lucky and the pcm came the motor but i still need to do some fine tuning. If you have flow sheets and a cam card the mail order tuners will get you close but i know you want to get all the power not close. The easyest thing would be fine the closest good tuner (i know that might be a long drive) and have them tune it. Around here (Atlanta) its around $600 to have it tuned, but if you are gonna be changing stuff all the time it would be better to tune it yourself. I don't think its all that hard to tune one but it would take some time to learn. Thats my guess and I am thinking bout buying Tuner Cat also. If you go OBD1 make sure emmisions are not gonna be tested in your area also. You can always buy the program and try it and if its not what u want then sell it here (i think you have to let your pcm go to who you sell the program to, but you can get a pcm from $50 to $100 on the net or swap with who u sell the program to) and then go a different route. Alan