Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

HPP questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 09:04 PM

HPP questions

I have the hypertech power programmer PLUS... not sure if it is called the HPP3, the part number on the programmer is #895 and is for 95 LT1s. Most of this is aimed at Madwolf, but any responses will be appreciated.

A little background info:
I'm having to convert my car back to an automatic since my T56 bit the dust last week, and i still have my old auto sitting in the garage. I need my car ready ASAP since it's my primary transportation and don't have the time or money to get the manual fixed at this time. I still have the 3.73s in the car, which i don't want with the auto since i do entirely too much interstate driving. Anyway i'm getting madwolf to send me a PCM programmed for the auto and the 3.73 gears. I found a used 3.23 rearend going for fairly cheap so i'm going to temporarily swap the rear i have out for now until i get the M6 back in it. The PCM will be initially programmed for speedo correction and tailored shift points for the 3.73s. I'll be driving it with these until i get the other rear in the car.

My concern is, when i swap the 3.23-geared rear in, how the HPP will program for the other gears with the automatic. The manual says that the programmer will automatically set the WOT shift points to the original factory RPM settings. But i've seen on this board that some members still have problems hitting the rev limiter during the shifts even though the speedo was adjusted correctly. If i just select the 3.23 gear option, will it adjust the part throttle shift points accordingly? Will the WOT shift points be right? Or will i have to fiddle with with the +/- mph settings to make it shift at 5700 under WOT?

I used it to adjust my speedo for the 3.73s after i swapped to the M6, and didn't have to worry about shift points as the M6 obvously didn't need it. I'm just worried that the HPP won't make the neccessary adjustments i need after swapping rears.

And as one final question i think i should ask, after madwolf's PCM comes in, will be safe to use the HPP3 without affecting other parts of his program? The only thing it'll be used for is to correct for the new gears.
Old 11-21-2004, 11:06 PM

Re: HPP questions

A short answer is - it will not work.
Hypertech needs a stock tune to begin with and it cannot just convert A4 to M6 or vice versa.
Old 11-21-2004, 11:34 PM

Re: HPP questions

Ok so i'll just have to get you to program it for the 3.23 gears from the start?

All i was going to use the HPP for was to account for the change in gears when i put the other rear end in it. I'm not sure if i'll have the time to change the rear and the trans at the same time, so i was going to change it over and use your PCM, and drive it for a couple of days with the 3.73s. Then later put the 3.23 rear in it and calibrate it with the HPP. I guess i'll have to change the rear and the trans all at once then. Gonna make for an interesting weekend

Hey Ion, i think i've changed my plans a little bit. I'll try to call you sometime tomorrow afternoon and discuss it.

Thanks