Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

Help with Data file.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 02:01 PM

Help with Data file.

Using Datamaster V 4, the file at 6375 RPM showed :
LTF=134
STF=128
MAP=26.38
Inj Dc=88.6%
BPW 8.34
O2=906/919
Spark=36. (max 44)
retard=0.3
Knock count=1053
I.A.=85.6 F
Any thoughts/suggestions? How can I change the file def from uni. to one that I can send to someone to look at? Always a rough running car. Seems rich at idle and low speeds. Moates chip and adapter.
Is more info needed?

93 Z28, 5.7 LT1, 52MM T.B., 3'Corsa Exhaust, Random High Flow Cat, Taylor 8mm wires, Bosch + 4 plugs GMs Hot cam with 1.6 RRs, LT 4 springs, Strano front bar, '99 front brake upgrade, Pro 5 shifter.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:13 PM
Administrator

Re: Help with Data file.

There is an option to export as a .csv file, which can be opened with Excel.

On the file tab, click on "export engine data".

You will have to enter the record numbers to export. Enter "1" for the starting record, and enter the last record number in the count field. Then you have to tell it what data you want to export by clicking one by one on the "click to assign" buttons, and selecting the data that goes in that column from the dropdown. This is my suggested list/order of items:

1. Runtime
2. RPM
3. MPH
4. TPS – Volts
5. TPS - %
6. MAP (kPa)
7. CLT Temp (Degrees F)
8. IA Temp (Degrees F)
9. IGN Volts
10. IAC Position
11. AFGS
12. SPARK ADV
13. SPARK RETARD
14. KNOCK COUNT
15. Injector BPW – Left
16. Injector BPW – Right
17. Fuel Trim Cell
18. Left O2
19. Right O2
20. Long Term – L
21. Long Term – R
22. Short Term – L
23. Short Term – R
24. CCP Duty Cycle
25. EGR Duty Cycle
26. Barometer
27. IAC Target
28. Idle RPM
29. Injector Duty Cycle – L
30. Injector Duty Cycle - R

When you have them all listed, click on "extract data". When the results appear in tabular for, click "file" and "save as csv" (or txt).

Looking at a single frame of data is sort of useless. And you don't have the data presented clearly - there should be long and short term fuel trims for both left and right bank. To make the fuel trims meaningful, you have to indicate the cell #. Knowing the RPM isn't useful without the throttle position. The MAP reading is only useful with the units of measurement displayed. At WOT you might see 26.38 "Hg..... or if the throttle had just closed, that could be in kPa. Knock count means nothing unless you can see if it has incremented from the previous frame of data.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:58 PM

Thank you for responding to my cry for help!

The ST F and LT F were only displayed as one number not left and right banks.

I did not show other frames or at other engine speeds as I have just started to datalog after many stressful attempts at the Datamaster program gathering of engine info and thought that starting with data from higher engine speeds might be more useful at this point in time.

Where could I post the data once I have it ready?

Thanks again, I'll try your suggestion.

Ted Platt
Old 08-11-2013, 02:25 PM

You asked " Where could I post the data once I have it ready? " . This forum does not support attachments.. You have to put the file on a shared site and then post the link. Mediafire.com has a free service for posting limited files. By the way can you also post the .uni file. Assume you are running Datamaster 'DA' (dm32xda.exe) for the 93'
Old 08-11-2013, 07:34 PM

Thank you Bob! If I post on the media... as a uni. file or would it be better to convert it to a csv file? I want to make it easy for someone to read and advise me of what to do or what their observations are.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:30 AM

Everyone can view the .csv file with EXCEL or Open Office, only those with DM32XDA can view the .uni . So you may get more comments using the .csv .
Old 08-12-2013, 05:51 PM

Thanks again, I'll see if i can get that file on there!

Ted
Old 08-14-2013, 09:26 AM

If you prefer, send your .uni file to ' datalogs@comcast.net' . I'll post it, and a .csv up for you.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:55 AM

Well, it's been a few weeks but I was finally able to post the DataMaster file to "datalogs@comcast.net", as a.csv file.

I hope that someone can help me with this. I would like to improve the driveability and fuel economy. It seems to be lean in open loop when cold then very rich when in closed loop.
Suggestions as what can be altered.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:52 AM

Posted the files for Ted. Let me know if it works..

http://www.mediafire.com/view/80uurf..._93_8_8_13.csv

http://www.mediafire.com/download/du...ivq/8_8_13.uni

If not try this :

http://www.mediafire.com/download/80..._93_8_8_13.csv

http://www.mediafire.com/download/du...ivq/8_8_13.uni

Have not used Mediafire for posting in a while..

Last edited by bobdec; 10-14-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:28 AM

Lean across the board.. LT trims are +7 to +25% both banks. Possible tune, injector size, cylinder size, Injector offsets. Or since it's SD, VE tables. Maybe MAP sensor, I'm not an expert on SD running lean. IAC counts are high, they hit 160 in a couple of spots, could open TB blades a bit TPS is at .59 volts in spec. Could be IAC port or ports are clogged. Looks like 180 T-stat , but fan 1 coming on at 177, fan 2 at 184 , both are running constantly after engine warms up. Just observation, won't cause the lean.. Assume it's tuned for Hot cam (214/228 112 LSA) as idle spark looks like it's set a bit higher ( I like it in 30's you look like high 20's. Desired idle is 850, and tune is keeping it OK. MAP is in high 50's, a bit high but not drastic.. What brand 58 Mm TB are you running ?
Old 10-14-2013, 03:39 PM

Bob, the TB is a stock GM unit that has been bored out and fitted with new blades. Purchased off the parts forum. It has a TPIS air foil.. Will check the air passages in the TB tomorrow to check for obstructions.
The current injectors are 24lb.GM's. A 160 degree thermostat is installed. I have a set of 30lb's but hesitate to install them until these other issues are resolved.

Thank you for the help, Ted
Old 10-14-2013, 05:01 PM

Forgot fuel pressure, has it been verified , low 40's w/key on/off/on a couple of times w/o engine running and then mid 30's idling. Do you have a .bin file for the tune, is the tune custom or is it proprietary (purchased) from a mail order tuner. If purchased you should verify settings w/tuner. Otherwise send a copy and I'll take a look at fueling settings..
Old 10-14-2013, 06:16 PM

Last checked F.P. 4 months ago and was as you described, GM service manual, but will double check that tomorrow as well (TPIS Adjustable regulator) as the IAC. It was a Moats mail order tune with their chip adaptor.

Thanks!
Old 10-14-2013, 11:23 PM
Administrator

You indicate it seems to run lean when cold, and rich when warm. You indicate poor fuel mileage - how poor? Yet the ECM thinks it's lean based on O2 readings, and is adding fuel it apparently doesn't need.

How old are the O2 sensors? What brand? Are you still running single-wire (stock 93) O2 sensors?

Quick Reply: Help with Data file.