Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

Going to DFI

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 03:03 AM

Going to DFI

Well, my tuner has finally gotten on my last nerve, so I'm going to invest in a Gen 7 DFI system for my blown TA. I'm going to get the 2 bar map setup now, and invest in a wide band O2 kit in another two months or so. I just wanted to ask a few questions before the deal goes through.

First, it looks like Accel provides all the sensors or connectors, can I reuse my TPS and IAC since it looks like those aren't included?

Second, where should the unit be mounted? In the stock PCM location or is there enough wire length in the harness to mount it inside the car? Maybe under the dash?

Third, what will control my gauges since the stock PCM will be gone.

Fourth, will the car still use a MAF sensor or will it be totally speed density?

Lastly, how hard is it to program the thing? My engine builder is very good with Motec computers, are they similar enough that he could help me?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 01-22-2004, 06:37 AM

It's simpler to tune than a Motec. Not as expensive either.

Your TPS and IAC will work fine. Make sure you order the TPS and IAC adapter harnesses, or you'll be cutting wires to make them work.

Mount the ECM wherever you want. It's weatherproofed to live under the hood, and the harness is long enough to reach behind the firewall.

You may want to keep the stock PCM around to run the gauges and stuff like that. It's possible to piggyback the DFI to the stock PCM so that the PCM still "thinks" it's running the engine, and all your guages and stuff still operate correctly.

How much boost are you planning to make? 2 BAR only reads up to 15 Psi.
Old 01-22-2004, 07:09 AM

How far are you from Melbourne? I know you want a DFI but another option would be a FAST system. If you decide to get either I would highly recommend contacting Cal Hartline (www.hartlineperformance.com) on tuning. He is a wiz when it comes to tuning either system. Tell him Arthur sent you.
Old 01-22-2004, 09:49 AM

I just ordered the system today, but I'm about to call my friend and have him make sure I get the adapter harness for the TPS and IAC. As far as boost goes, I'm only running about 7 psi now (stock motor), but when my 383 gets built, I plan to max out the S trim (like 10-12 lbs) and if I'm still not happy, I'm going to switch to a PTK turbo kit with something like a 76 mm turbo. At that point, I can either set the max boost to less than 15 lbs or upgrade to a 3 bar. But, as I said, I'm fed up with trying to schedule tuning and I'm not too satisfied with the results so far. My newly installed EGT gauge is reading 700 degrees while cruising, so I know it's pig rich. Hey, is the wide band O2 worth the nearly $1k price tag? Or are there better options?
Old 01-22-2004, 05:47 PM

Originally posted by 97WS6SCharged
and Hey, is the wide band O2 worth the nearly $1k price tag? Or are there better options?
Supposedly the Innovative wideband puts out the same voltage needed by the GEN 7 DFI.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/

I plan on trying one of these for 1/2 the price (after extra cabling) of the DFI one..

--Sean
Old 01-23-2004, 12:39 AM

aDFIguy mentioned that I should keep the stock computer so I can run my gauges. Is there any way around this other than mechanical gauges? Do the gauges run off the computer? I figured they were on their own wiring harness and ran directly to the sending units.
Old 01-23-2004, 06:26 AM

Pretty soon, you'll be able to use other widebands than just the DFI one. You'll be able to program for a generic linear 0-5 Volt output representing from 10.0:1 to 20.0:1 air to fuel ratios. I think the innovate piece, and a few others offer a programmable output that you can set to match that curve. You'll just need to get the new version of the DFI tuning software in order to program the ECM. Should be out in around a month or so.

I'd maybe try the innovate or another wideband if you are in an N/A application, as they would probably work fine. However, if anyone's making any serious boost, you would do well to stick with the $$$ DFI WB -- which should be dropping in price in the spring.

As for the gauges -- ask this place. They should be able to tell you how to do it.
Old 01-23-2004, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Most of the dash info is direct wired from sensor to gauge, including the fuel level, oil pressure, coolant temp and system voltage. The PCM is not required to make these work.

Where you will have a problem is the speedometer/odometer. Unless the DFI unit can accept the stock VSS signal and output the required speedo information, you will need to keep the stock PCM. The tach may be a problem too.... although I would expect that the DFI includes a tach output, and that it could be interfaced to the stock tach. My stock tach is still running off the stock PCM, and I use a seperate aftermarket tach, driven off the MoTeC for 7,000+ rpm indication.

I have kept the stock PCM with my MoTeC, and use it for speedo, EGR, EEC, IAC and AIR. The MoTeC causes a unique problem with the IAC, since the MoTeC IAC output will only drive a pulse-width-modulated IAC motor, not the stock "stepper" IAC motor.

What are you doing for an ignition system? The stock PCM runs the fuel pump relay, and will not allow the fuel pump to run unless the PCM sees the Opti low res pulse. Again, I have the stock PCM handling this, since the stock optical module can feed both the stock PCM and the MoTeC in parallel.

Finally, what will you use for electric fan control?
Old 01-23-2004, 07:01 PM

I got a splice wiring harness that merged the dfi to the stock wiring harness and all my gauges work now....

http://www.fasttrackperformance.com/
Old 01-23-2004, 08:40 PM

I kinda figured that most of the dash gauges were wired directly to their respective sending units. From what I've seen of the Calmap software, I believe the DFI can control the fuel pump and the fans, but I don't see anywhere for it to interface with the speedo. It looks like it can process the tach signals since it has an onscreen tach. And, Accel says that the DFI will work with the stock TPS and IAC. I sent an e-mail to Fast Track Performance, I guess they will send me one back on Monday or Tuesday.
Old 01-23-2004, 11:10 PM

Originally posted by 97WS6SCharged
I I sent an e-mail to Fast Track Performance, I guess they will send me one back on Monday or Tuesday.
I've been on the phone all week with Mac from Fasttrack. They are really busy right now, your best bet is to call him around 4-5 pm pacific time, he says he's usually on the phones around that time.. He's a great guy, gave me some real good advice and is setting me up with the DFI and splice-in harness..

--Sean
Old 01-24-2004, 03:37 AM

Ok, I guess I'll give him a call Monday.
Old 05-29-2004, 04:35 AM

Updates on this?
Old 05-29-2004, 08:17 PM

Originally posted by The Highlander
Updates on this?
Spoke with Mac from FastTrackPerformance last week. They are selling the innovate LM1 wideband with the correct calibration and wiring to hook it directly into the Gen7 DFI computer.

Sweet deal.

--Sean
Old 05-29-2004, 09:32 PM

Nice, i have the LM1 already.. the downside to the accel is that it doesn't use MAF!!!

Quick Reply: Going to DFI