Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

EGR enable question

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 03:27 PM

EGR enable question

I have a 95 Z28 I did a T56 conversion on. I got a stock tune from a couple of guys, compared them all and loaded the one that was the closest to my original file. I e-tested the car and she failed the NO ppm section. I downloaded datamaster and did a run. I noticed at no point did the computer ever call for the EGR DC. I went in and looked at the values for that in my tune and have the following:

Enable Min MAP: 36.2Kpa
Enable Min RPM: 900
Enable Max RPM: 2100

Are these the factory values? I checked my run out at a part when I ran 40 km/h (E-tested at that speed), and I have a bunch of samples where all the criteria is satisfied and the computer should have called for it, but didnt.... Anyone have some ideas? The EGR is working, I can press it and it stumbles the motor. I can email my tune and data log is someone wants to look at it. I also have 2 codes showing, one for skip shift (84) b/c I didn't want it, and another b/c my AC needs charging (61)
Old 07-23-2006, 08:31 PM

Re: EGR enable question

I spent some time tonight going through the EGR system.

I got the car to stumble when I applied vacuum to the EGR. I put it back together and tried the solenoid via a spare weather pac connector and it worked.

I then grounded pin 6 on the DLC and put the car into the field/service mode and I got 12V to the connector on the car. As far as I can tell then, everything is working properly and there must be something from the PCM not being satisfied to enable it....

I did also check my TPS and I got between .5 and 4.6V for my 0-100%

If anyone has some info on what paramaters enable this, please post! Thanks
Old 07-23-2006, 09:30 PM

I did have a thought tonight though.... I haven't conneted up the CAGS on the tranny. Would that be tied into the EGR? The computer is setting a code for that
Old 07-24-2006, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Cool ZR
I did have a thought tonight though.... I haven't conneted up the CAGS on the tranny. Would that be tied into the EGR? The computer is setting a code for that
I'm not an expert... but I doubt that CAGS would have anything to do with the EGR. Who knows.

There are e-test facilities that are sympathetic to the hot-rodder's plight, and could help you pass your e-test. Where are you located?
Old 07-24-2006, 10:30 AM

I am not really sure either, so I thought I would ask the question... I am in the Hamilton area. Thanks for the help
Old 07-24-2006, 12:55 PM

I've sent you a PM.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:00 PM

I figured out why I have no EGR DC. In the T56 conversion write up, they talk of connecting the orange/black wire to the black/white wire. These are originally wired up to the auto shifter to tell the computer what gear it's in. If the orange black wire is grounded, the car thinks it's in park or neutral and under no load, when the car is shifted into gear, this circuit becomes open, and the computer knows to enable the EGR valve. I tried it by simply disconnecting those wires from each other, and sure enough, I got EGR DC on my Snap on....

Now I just have to figure out how a stick car is properly wired to begin with! I am going to take the car for a re-test and see if she passes!
Old 07-25-2006, 11:20 AM

There ya go! Good work, my 6spd has always read as being in "1st" gear.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:19 PM

That was the trick! I made that change (disconnection for my hatch) and my car passed the e-test now that the computer was asking to open the EGR valve

Stickmaster, if you're referring to your car being in first... I assume you mean on Datamaster ECM Logger? If you either mouse over or click on it, it tells you it's a switch. 1 means in drive/reverse, and 0 means in park/neutral.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:31 PM

Ahh gotcha, thanks, not sure where i saw that, probably datamaster, i havent done logs in a long time