Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

ECM Not Responding!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2003, 03:08 PM

Unhappy ECM Not Responding!!

I have uploaded my program from Tuner Cat and the engine wouldn't start after I uploaded the program. I figured out why the engine wouldn't start ( I disabled the VATS Feature) But when I try to read the PCM It says that the PCM won't respond!
I need some help here!
Old 03-09-2003, 10:43 PM

ouch

sounds like the computer needs to be reset or traded in to advance for a new one.

I've been there and it isn't pretty.

D Moss
Old 03-10-2003, 04:58 PM

Does the car still run? Did you wait for the FLSHPROG to reset the PCM after the 100% mark?
Old 03-10-2003, 09:01 PM

Cool VATS

I figured out what happened.... The Program loaded fine with no problems and the flash worked all the way to 100% with no interuptions. I did however disable the VATS toggle. BIG NO-NO!!!
It locks everything up! The ECM does not comunicate and the fuel pump won't run! The dealer says that they can reset it for 68.00. That was one expensive key stroke!!
Old 03-10-2003, 10:14 PM

So by disabling the VATS in the switch table, you couldn't start the car? Then why would TunerCat make that an option in there program if it's gonna prevent people from starting their cars afterwards?
Old 03-11-2003, 09:23 AM

VATS

Originally posted by ablackcamaro
So by disabling the VATS in the switch table, you couldn't start the car? Then why would TunerCat make that an option in there program if it's gonna prevent people from starting their cars afterwards?
Its there for the guys that put the LT1 in there Hot Rods without all the security features and electric fuel pumps. That is why that is in there. I think that the Definition files should have a note tagged to it to make it known that it will disable the vehicle if toggled off!!
Old 03-11-2003, 08:09 PM

Bad Information (VATS)

Originally posted by ablackcamaro
Apparently I was mis-informed on the VATS problem. You can disable VATS with Tuner cat and not have any problems.
It must have been the computers time to go! Looks like a new one from O'reillys!! 125.00 trade in! Sorry about the information misinterpretation!!
Old 03-11-2003, 08:51 PM

Hey, that rhymes!!! Glad to hear you at least got it figured out but sorry about the extra cost for ya. Better luck with the next PCM!
Old 03-12-2003, 12:14 PM

Re: Bad Information (VATS)

Originally posted by hosspwr94
Apparently I was mis-informed on the VATS problem. You can disable VATS with Tuner cat and not have any problems.
Right, I have done it before with no problems

How long after 100% did you wait? Did you wait for the PCM to be reset? You can hear this from the fuel pump kicking over, and your laptop will return to C:\current-directory prompt.

If you didn't wait, but it still hit 100%, then simply remove PCM_BATT fuse for a second and put it back in. Then try to start the car again from there, I did this once (oops) because it was so sunny that I couldn't read my laptop very well, I thought I was stranded because all the car would do is kick over endlessly, and wouldn't start.

Some kind of mistake was made somewhere, or some interuption at the very end. I've done over 100 flashes and have never fried mine.
Old 03-12-2003, 01:40 PM

Re: Re: Bad Information (VATS)

Originally posted by Dr.Mudge
Right, I have done it before with no problems

How long after 100% did you wait? Did you wait for the PCM to be reset? You can hear this from the fuel pump kicking over, and your laptop will return to C:\current-directory prompt.

If you didn't wait, but it still hit 100%, then simply remove PCM_BATT fuse for a second and put it back in. Then try to start the car again from there, I did this once (oops) because it was so sunny that I couldn't read my laptop very well, I thought I was stranded because all the car would do is kick over endlessly, and wouldn't start.

Some kind of mistake was made somewhere, or some interuption at the very end. I've done over 100 flashes and have never fried mine.
I waited till it said it was finished and it gave me the complete window. I didn't hear the fuel pump doing anything! The fans sure did kick on though!
How long does it take for the computer to reset?