Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

Computer Tuning Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 12:03 PM

Computer Tuning Issues

So I ordered a PCMforless Tune from Brian Herter for my '94 Z28 and I ordered a cable from ALDL cable to get some tuning taken care of on my car.

I received the cable about 4 days before I received the tune in the email, so I messed around with the cable and FreeScan/Datamaster to make sure that it worked and I somewhat understood what was going on with the real-time programs. I also used them to diagnose that I did need to replace my O2s. Long story short, I get the tune in the email, and I follow the instructions of using C.A.T.S. to load it onto my car.

I was first supposed to use C.A.T.S. to read the PCM, so that if for any reason there was a problem with loading the new tune I could use the read factory tune so that I could reload that if needed. Doesn't sound to complex, just a couple clicks, make sure the cable is hooked up, and let it do its thing. Think again.

So it starts to do the read on the PCM, the fans turn on, the fuel pump primes up, and then they both shut off, and an Error Message pops up saying PCM not responding. So it says "attempting to reset PCM" and it does that, the fans turn on again, and then the same error comes up. I emailed Brian Herter, and he said to unhook the battery for 20 mins to reset the PCM, because sometimes they're locked or something like that. So I do that, and I attempt to do the Read again. Same thing, fans turn on, and then this time it says "Security Error."

I emailed Brian again, and he responds saying that it sounds like it is a Com Port issue, and to take it up with the maker of the cable (he assumed it was AKM). So I emailed ALDL, and the man in charge of ALDL responds that there is no way it is Com Port issues if I can use Freescan/Datamaster.

So both of them are referring me to each other, and I've emailed them both back and haven't received a response in about 2 business days, plus now its the end of the weekend. Still not too sure whats going on, and its frustrating because right now I'm out of like $80.. which doesn't seem like a lot, but I'm a starving college student here.

I've tossed a couple emails/PMs to people on SpeedDensity.org beacuse a lot of them are close with the PCMforless guys, or they know whats going on with tuning in general, and of course with my luck SpeedDensity.org gets shutdown and reset so now I'm caught in a bind.

Does anyone have any takes on what I should do with this situation? Any suggestions? Just give up?

Thanks,

-Joe Blazina
Old 05-15-2005, 12:37 PM

Re: Computer Tuning Issues

Try it again and make sure your battery has a full charge and you turn off all your accessories and anything that doesnt need to be turned on. Try using freescan again and verify that it works. I believe you can use another program to read and save whats on your computer now and use another program to flash a .bin file to your computer.
Old 05-15-2005, 01:01 PM

If your are trying to "read" or "reprogram" the pcm after you have used Datamaster or freescan, make sure that you close those programs before using Tunercat. The reason is that those programs will still be using your com port and Tunercat will not be able to read any data.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:18 PM

Thanks for the responses guys.

So I tried it again. The battery has a full charge and there weren't any other accessories running. I attempted to Read the PCM with C.A.T.S. and it started, established communication, fans turned on, and then fans turned off and it said "Error: PCM not responding" then it says "Attempting PCM Reset" -- the car turns off, fuel pump primes back up, fans turn back on, and then it says "Error: PCM Read Aborted"

I closed C.A.T.S., Opened Freescan, it made readings. I turned the car off.. but it still said the car was running at 50 rpm?

Went back to C.A.T.S., tried again. Same responses. What other program would you suggest that could flash a new .bin file to the PCM? What program would you suggest to read what is on the PCM now?

Thanks.

-Joe
jblazina@ufl.edu
Old 05-15-2005, 02:31 PM

turn off the computer and restart it. and only open tunercat if you have anything like freescan or datamster running it will use the comm and and you will get that error, be sure you have only tunercat open, be sure and see if your virus protection isnt monitoring the com ports. minedoes and i have to turn it off while using tunercat.
Old 05-15-2005, 03:38 PM

Do you have the right definition file for Tunercat?
Old 05-15-2005, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by jdizzell
Do you have the right definition file for Tunercat?
It is the evaluation copy of the program. I'm not too sure what the definition file is for it at all. It was all sent to me in a zip file from Brian.
Old 05-15-2005, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by WhyHelloOfficer
Thanks for the responses guys.

I attempted to Read the PCM with C.A.T.S. and it started, established communication, fans turned on, and then fans turned off and it said "Error: PCM not responding" then it says "Attempting PCM Reset" -- the car turns off, fuel pump primes back up, fans turn back on, and then it says "Error: PCM Read Aborted"

-Joe
jblazina@ufl.edu

Umm... The car turns off? Are you trying to read while the car is running? it should be in ignition but the engine is not running so don't start the car, take the fan relays out, battery full charge, make sure you didn't blow the PCM batt/pcm ignition fuse, check those. Its not a cable issue if datamaster works and you can't read.

Make sure no programs like datamaster are even run before attempting, they sometimes lock the com ports to themselves.

Also if I were you don't even bother with tunercat windows if you are already having problems. So follow that and use the DOS version of tunercat, load MSDOS Prompt and run the DOS version of tunercat, basically put the FLSHREAD and FLSHPROG file into drive C:\ and the tune on the drive as well, and type FLSHREAD and let her read.

Here download the dos versions here:

www3.telus.net/bunker/tunes

Download those file I put up for ya into a directory or just Drive C, wherever you want the files to download or upload from. You need all those 4 files.
Old 05-15-2005, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by WhyHelloOfficer
It is the evaluation copy of the program. I'm not too sure what the definition file is for it at all. It was all sent to me in a zip file from Brian.
Go into Tunercat and in the ECM menu at the top see if PCM_EE or PCM_EEB is in there. If not you will have to order a EE defenition file from Tunercat they are $20.
Old 05-15-2005, 09:03 PM

try a different laptop or pc, ive seen alot of these tuning programs work on 1 computer and not on another
Old 05-16-2005, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by jay_lt4
try a different laptop or pc, ive seen alot of these tuning programs work on 1 computer and not on another
Same here. Its funny how some work and some just plain dont or only 1/2 of the time.

Right click My Computer, go to hardware tab, click on device manager.

Now find the Ports and see if you have a com port and if its set on (COM1) If you are using a laptop then find the infared device and disable it.
Old 05-16-2005, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by bunker
Umm... The car turns off? Are you trying to read while the car is running? it should be in ignition but the engine is not running so don't start the car, take the fan relays out, battery full charge, make sure you didn't blow the PCM batt/pcm ignition fuse, check those. Its not a cable issue if datamaster works and you can't read.

Make sure no programs like datamaster are even run before attempting, they sometimes lock the com ports to themselves.

Also if I were you don't even bother with tunercat windows if you are already having problems. So follow that and use the DOS version of tunercat, load MSDOS Prompt and run the DOS version of tunercat, basically put the FLSHREAD and FLSHPROG file into drive C:\ and the tune on the drive as well, and type FLSHREAD and let her read.

Here download the dos versions here:

www3.telus.net/bunker/tunes

Download those file I put up for ya into a directory or just Drive C, wherever you want the files to download or upload from. You need all those 4 files.
I have the program in DOS as well. It has the same response.

Go into Tunercat and in the ECM menu at the top see if PCM_EE or PCM_EEB is in there. If not you will have to order a EE defenition file from Tunercat they are $20.
There isn't even an ECM menu in the program. I'm not too sure what you're telling me to look for.

Originally Posted by jay_lt4
I'm going to try to do that as soon as I can.

Originally Posted by turbo_z
Same here. Its funny how some work and some just plain dont or only 1/2 of the time. Right click My Computer, go to hardware tab, click on device manager.Now find the Ports and see if you have a com port and if its set on (COM1) If you are using a laptop then find the infared device and disable it.
I just disabled the infrared device. I'm going to try it again very soon. I will let you guys know.

Thanks everyone for the responses and support. I greatly appreciate it.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:24 PM

So here's the skinny...
I checked the com ports through the device manager, and disabled the infrared stuff, and I attempted to run the program again, and I received the same responses. I tried running it in DOS, and surprisingly some other things happened.

I ran it in DOS, and the fans actually stayed on for a decent ammount of time, and then they stopped it read "Error: Incorrect Message Sent. Attempting PCM Reset" which it did, the fans turned back on and then it said "Error: PCM Read Aborted"

So I tried it again, and the same thing happened. I tried it once more, made sure that all of the connections were correct, and then it stopped all together and read:
"Fatal Error - Program Terminated Program Error Code: 69 Program Error Address: 9989"

What does all of this mean? It seemed I was actually making headway and then this happened.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:01 PM

What you mean there is no menu? Its on the toolbar at the top and it says ECM. Are you sure you have tunercat? If so email Tunercat w/ your error messages.
Old 05-17-2005, 08:48 AM

What you mean there is no menu? Its on the toolbar at the top and it says ECM. Are you sure you have tunercat? If so email Tunercat w/ your error messages.
I have a program called C.A.T.S. Winflash? I'm not sure if this is the same as tuner cat. There isn't a drop down toolbar that says ECM.

Quick Reply: Computer Tuning Issues