Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

Chasing gremlins - Scan9495

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 07:22 AM

Chasing gremlins - Scan9495

I've had the Firebird up and running for a couple weeks now but unable to drive it just yet. I've been scanning the car to figure out what is causing the issue but now it's time to reach out.

EGR, AC and EVAP has been deleted yet Scan9495 is showing Elec faults for EGR solenoid open, AC clutch relay open, and EVAP purge solenoid open. I've checked and double checked in TC that these have been deleted but we may have missed something. PCMForLess tune as Bryan and Keith are good friends of mine.

DTC 18 has been fixed, had to replace the injectors. Wiring showed correct voltage, noid lights fired perfect. This engine sat for a few years so I suspect the injectors were clogged or toast. Popped in some #30 Bosch, retune and she fired right up.

The coolant sensor needs replaced which I think is causing a lot of my current issue which is - a huge dead pedal when you start the car. Swat the throttle and it will either stall or just sit there for a few seconds before the rpm's start to come up.
Attached Files
Old 08-20-2016, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Re: Chasing gremlins - Scan9495

I'll try and review the file in the next day or so,
Old 08-20-2016, 04:41 PM

Thanks Fred - she's coming along. Swapped the sensor and she came around a lot. I still had an injector pigtail issue, it just would not clip on - finally found a double gasket in there. Ugg

Plugs won't stay tight so i'm battling that issue now. Just need a little more umph on them and they should stay in there.

Need to log the trans when I get back out there tonight, part throttle it doesn't want to shift until I let out of the throttle. I'm taking a guess that the 3 loose plugs are throwing everything out of whack but if not i'm going to look into messing with the tire/gearing in TC to make sure it's correct. 3.73 and a 28" tire.

Re-learning TC, logging, and the LT1......fun, fun
Old 08-20-2016, 09:04 PM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?

Originally Posted by DarkHorse
EGR, AC and EVAP has been deleted yet Scan9495 is showing Elec faults for EGR solenoid open, AC clutch relay open, and EVAP purge solenoid open.

The coolant sensor needs replaced which I think is causing a lot of my current issue which is - a huge dead pedal when you start the car. Swat the throttle and it will either stall or just sit there for a few seconds before the rpm's start to come up.
If the EGR, AC, and Evap are missing, the scan will always show that, but since the codes have been programmed out, nothing is affected.

The coolant sensor is either unplugged or defective. The one code (DTC15) showing is for that failure.
Old 08-20-2016, 09:13 PM

Thanks Gary - here's the latest file. Fixed quite a few things today but still seems down on power low. I may have a vacuum leak, i'm going to search for that tomorrow as well as replace both 02 sensors.

Talked to Keith at PCMForLess little bit ago, once I get it running decent we'll throw it on the rollers and fine tune it.

Then finished the nitrous install

Not bad for a $400 car and $500 for Engine/Trans/PCM + misc. I have about $2500 invested so far with car/engine/gaskets/converter and all the bolt ons
Attached Thumbnails Chasing gremlins - Scan9495-freebird1.jpg   Chasing gremlins - Scan9495-freebird-hdr-2.jpg   Chasing gremlins - Scan9495-freebird-wingfoot1.jpg  
Attached Files
Old 08-21-2016, 04:40 PM
Administrator

Were you repeatedly restarting it because it's stalling? Your IAC is wide open and it can't hold the idle speed. As a result of the low idle speed, the system voltage is dropping very low (10.x volts) at times (with engine running).

Both fans are running, but that's probably the result of the CLT DTC 15. You really need to get something that basic fixed ASAP. It renders the data logs sort of useless. The MAF reading is very high for idle RPM, that causes 5 mSec injector pulse width, which are way above what you would expect. The MAP is too high, indicating low vacuum.

And as Gary pointed out, the PCM see that there is no EGR or EVAP solenoid, and calls those out as faults, but it is not doing anything as a result of those faults... i.e. not setting a code.
Old 08-21-2016, 08:51 PM

Latest log file for you guys - replaced a bunch of stuff and it seems to be running much much better.
Attached Files
Old 08-22-2016, 08:08 AM
Prominent Member

The coolant temp is fluctuating wildly. Did you replace the sensor or it's connector? Are you sure the connector is firmly attached?
Old 08-22-2016, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by GaryDoug
The coolant temp is fluctuating wildly. Did you replace the sensor or it's connector? Are you sure the connector is firmly attached?
New sensor secured well, checked the wiring per shoebox site. I think I have an air pocket issue
Old 08-22-2016, 09:31 AM
Prominent Member

In some places, the indicated temp changes by as much as 83 degrees (94 to 177) in about a third of a second. I am skeptical the sensor can change that fast regardless of the stimulus changes. Here is a way to test it. Leave the ignition on but the engine off and do a scan. Wiggle the wires during the scan and note the changes, if any.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by GaryDoug
In some places, the indicated temp changes by as much as 83 degrees (94 to 177) in about a third of a second. I am skeptical the sensor can change that fast regardless of the stimulus changes. Here is a way to test it. Leave the ignition on but the engine off and do a scan. Wiggle the wires during the scan and note the changes, if any.
Thank you, I'll try that tonight. I did notice that as well but just assumed it was an air pocket. New sensor
Old 08-22-2016, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by DarkHorse
Thank you, I'll try that tonight. I did notice that as well but just assumed it was an air pocket. New sensor
How does the rest of it look in your opinion?