Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

Best Wideband Sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 07:25 PM

Best Wideband Sensor?

I am working on a project that hopefully will yield a cheap wideband logging system. Because I want to do it right the first time, what sensor do you suggest I use in designing the system?

I have one more quick question, is there any wideband systems for under $300?

TOM B
Old 03-28-2005, 09:59 PM

Re: Best Wideband Sensor?

I have the Innovate wideband...NICE piece of equipment, lots of accessories - $349
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/lm1.php
I know there are people on this board that use some other systems, all of which people seem to be happy with.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:13 AM

Thanks for the response...... since I have not had a whole lot of suggestions, I guess I will shed some light onto what I plan to do:

I have build a "conversion" box that turns a voltage into a resistance that is readable by the PCM. What this allows me to do right now is read pressures through the PCM via the oil temperature inputs. Currently it is set up to read fuel pressure and the degrees C are actually PSI. An example; when logging via Datamaster, the oil temperature reads 44 Degrees C. What it actually means is 44 PSI.

A friend of mine suggested to do the same thing, but with a wideband oxygen sensor. Since the conversion box is fully adjustable via firmware, anything is possible as long as the output voltage of the sensor is 0 to +5 Volts. I am looking for suggestions on what oxygen sensor to use for my measurements and conversion design.

Hopefully, this would be a great (and cheap) tuning option for us guys who have logging software and would like to have wideband capability. Other possibilities are: Boost measurments, vaccume, oil pressure....... all being logged by your current PCM logging software.

TOM B

Last edited by SSQATCH; 03-29-2005 at 11:16 AM.
Old 03-29-2005, 04:46 PM

What about dynojet wide band commander? Is that setup any good?
Old 03-29-2005, 08:44 PM

Very innovative idea!!! My wideband uses the Bosch 5 wire O2 sensor, which is available at this link: http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/x...me.php?cat=251 but I would imagine that you could search around for a better price than that...just gave you the link so you can see which O2 sensor is being used. It sounds like you have a very useful tuning tool that others will be interested in as well. Let me know if I can be of any help! GOOD LUCK!
Old 03-30-2005, 08:27 PM

Let us all know if you get the box working. I have input my WB directly into AC pressure input and got some floating voltage variations so it didn't work too swift. A converter box from 0-5Vdc to Ohms should work pretty good.

Steve
Old 03-30-2005, 10:12 PM

We are using a PIC (a very small, cheap and programmable computer) to bring in the data and convert it. The PIC we are working with also has an A to D converter built in. It is as flexable as it can be so that is why I am pretty excited about it. I emailed the board gurus about trying to see about interest in this...... I would love to build them for others but will have to get the first couple working before I want to procede to build ones for others.

Thanks for the help/input..... keep it comming,

TOM B