Classic Engine Tech 1967 - 1981 Engine Related

thinking of upgrading

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 04:00 PM

thinking of upgrading

ok so my 396 is gonna need some major repairs. almost to the point where it would be cheaper just to buy a new engine. i was looking on ebay for a 396 and found one. then the same seller also had a 454 listed for only a couple hundred more. a few questions.

what would you recommend i do? is a 454 that much better then a 396? what are the pro's and cons?

also if i get a 454 is it that much larger then a 396? the 396 barely fit when i put it in over the 350. so i def dont want the 454 if its not going to fit under the hood.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:00 PM
CamaroRS_SS

It can be a matter of opinion to a certain point. If the 396 that you have is a matching numbers engine than it is worth the money to rebuild. The comment that it replaced a 350 makes me determine that it probably isn't original. A 454 is the same block as a 396, so if your 396 fit the 454 will fit the same. As far as which one is better... a 454 gives you more power potential to work with, after all there is no replacement for displacement!

Old 05-23-2007, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by CamaroRS_SS
It can be a matter of opinion to a certain point. If the 396 that you have is a matching numbers engine than it is worth the money to rebuild. The comment that it replaced a 350 makes me determine that it probably isn't original. A 454 is the same block as a 396, so if your 396 fit the 454 will fit the same. As far as which one is better... a 454 gives you more power potential to work with, after all there is no replacement for displacement!
Yea everything he said here is true. the 396 is just a more rare motor it seems. Ton's of 454's out there. Same block, so same size. Just depends on what you are looking to do with it. What power level you are looking for. I mean you can get over 1200hp out of a sub 5 liter engine... on something like a 396 or whatnot I am sure you could go higher. it's just the expense, and you will not need to spend quite as much with a larger engine. But at some point all the power is pointless on the street.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:37 PM

thanks for the replies. if i get the 454 will i need new headers or will the old ones fit since theyre the same size?

here are the specs on each engine also

This engine would be EXCELLENT for a street/strip car, street rod, pickup, or your daily driver. Remove that old 454 and install this 450HP 454 to bring your ride to life! This 454 is a direct bolt-in, no modifications are needed! This engine has enough cam to know it has good power, but not too big to have idle or drivability problems.

The balanced rotating assembly includes:

* 4.00" stroke nodular iron crank
* 6.135" forged rods with ARP rod bolts
* 9 to 1 compression pistons

More special features of this engine include:

* Seasoned 2-bolt main block
* Deck head gasket surface on block to ensure a good seal
* New Hydraulic flat tappet cam with .527"Int/.553"Exh valve lift
* New Valves 2.070"Int/1.720"Exh
* New 1.440" high performance springs with dampeners setup to match cam
* New Rocker studs
* New Hardened guide plates
* New 1.7 roller tip rocker arms - these allow us to use stock height valve covers so your stock brackets fit without any modifications
* New Hardened push rods
* New Perfect Circle rings
* New Double row timing set
* New High volume oil pump with steel drive shaft and steel guide with oil pickup tube welded to pump
* New Revolutionary 1-pc design molded rubber oil pan gasket with load limiters to prevent over-tightening and higher temperature resistance than standard cork-rubber gaskets
* New Brass expansion plugs
* New Edelbrock dual plane intake manifold
* All parts are painted separately before assembly for that show quality look

396-This engine would be EXCELLENT for a Street/Strip car, Street Rod, or Pickup Truck. With 400HP @ 5500rpm and 430ft lbs of torque @ 4500rpm this engine has a lopey idle and will run on leaded or unleaded 89 Octane pump fuel.

The balanced rotating assembly includes:

* 3.750" crank
* 6.135" forged rods with ARP rod bolts
* 10 to 1 compression dome top pistons

More special features of this engine include:

* Seasoned 2-bolt main block
* Deck head gasket surface on block to ensure a good seal
* New Hydraulic flat tappet cam with .527"int/.553"exh valve lift - Fair idle with a lope (enough cam to notice but not rough enough to lose vacuum)
* New 2.070"Int/1.720"Exh valves with high performance springs setup to match cam
* New 1.7 Roller tip rocker arms - these allow us to use stock height valve covers so your stock brackets fit without any modifications
* New Hardened push rods
* New Perfect Circle rings
* New Double row timing set
* New High volume oil pump with welded pickup screen
* Spin-on oil filter adapter - No need for hard to change canister filters, this engine is set up for the easy to find spin on oil filters!
* New Revolutionary 1-pc design molded rubber oil pan gasket with load limiters to prevent over-tightening and higher temperature resistance than standard cork-rubber gaskets
* New Brass expansion plugs
* New Edelbrock Dual Plane Performer aluminum intake manifold
* All parts are painted separately before assembly for that show quality look
Old 05-25-2007, 09:22 PM

Headers should bolt right up. I suspect these are identical engines with the exception of the longer stroke of the 454. This would mean more torque at lower rpm and the same hp at lower rpm for the bigger motor.

Rich
Old 05-29-2007, 09:21 AM

If your gonna do it,dont BS around...GET THE 454!
Old 06-03-2007, 09:19 PM
CamaroRS_SS

They both sound like good engines, I would still lean towards the 454 though. The 396 is a nice build from the description but it is pulling 400 hp at 5500 rpm (redline) whereas the 454 is pulling 450 hp at a lower rpm, (I am assuming from the cams description.) This means two things... one with the 454 you will have more power with less engine strain and two, if you want even more power from the 454 for not alot of money and a fun weekend project you can stab a larger cam into it and sqeeeze some extra performance out, without major engine mods. The 454 is a nice solid platform to build upon that will run right out of the box. The 396 is built and will run, but does not have as much room to play to build more power as the 454.