Classic Engine Tech 1967 - 1981 Engine Related

Question about 4L80E transmission and 1st gen. camaro

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2003, 11:50 PM

Question about 4L80E transmission and 1st gen. camaro

I am currently debating a major change for my 69 Camaro. Since I never take my car to the dragstrip as it is used for a street car. I wouldnt' mind taking it to the dragstrip every once in awhile just to see what it will do. But I will not run slicks on this car at all because I dont' want to tear anything up. My current #'s are listed in my sig. below. But the rearend has a 3.31 differential now. I am debating about putting Bill Mitchells 632ci motor that cranks out 750hp on pump gas into my Camaro. I have a beefed up TH400 but I am considering putting in a 4L80E transmission in since it has a better launching gear and better highway cruising speeds. I know I am going to have to beef up the rearend and do a few suspension mods but does anyone have this transmission in their 1st gen. Is the conversion pretty difficult? Are there any conversion kits? But the biggest question is will the 4L80E be able to handle the hp/tq created by the motor? I have looked into the 700R4 but the strongest one I can find can only handle around 650hp. I have seen ads where a 4L80E can handle those horsepower number but isnt the 4L80e the same thing as a 700r4 execept its electronic. I want the less painful swap and one that will not cause a lot of headache. I want a true streetwarrior with occasional dragstrip use. I know this seems very potent but I want to have complete and total respect on the street and I feel this combination will be very effective even though traction will be quite limited. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks guys.

Cory
Old 02-13-2003, 11:56 AM

I haven't used the 4l80e, but I would recommend you check into Art Carr's 200r4 trannies. they are lighter, have less parasitic drag and can handle a TON of power. They live reliably behind 1000hp engines, and you can pick one up with 9" billet converter for around $1800. Heck, a 700r4 will run close to that by itself and not handle as much power, weigh more, and be a parasitic monster...
This is the route I am going in my first gen. I have talked to them and gotten info about the extreme duty rans they sell, and they more than confident it will handle my big block and 650lbs of torque.
Drop me a line and I can forward the info they sent me if you like.