Classic Engine Tech 1967 - 1981 Engine Related

Help weird stalling and bogging type things..??

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 01:38 PM

Help weird stalling and bogging type things..??

I am a bit rusty with carbs.I have a 400 pontiac and threw on a new edelbrock 800 thunder on it.Edelbrock says this carb is ok on that size motor.I haven't really set anything.Pump is in top hole closest to the carb.Car has mild cam and thats about it.

Yesterday I was at lights and it started stumbling and then stalled.I then started it again and it did same thing..figure toy truck time but then it started again..had to hold pedal to floor prettty sure was flooded and it started and drove it for a bit and it seemed better.I was revving it in neutral to like 5000 as was pretty pissed off at it and then it seemed to idle much steadier.

Also the other day and few other times when going wot it just of bogs.not on intial wot but you are holding it down wot and then it feels like you are running out of gas or something but the tank has lots and the pump is new mechanical stock type.
It seems to run fine part throttle but doesn't always do this weird thing at wot mentioned above.And think it does it when car is hot but not sure.I have an electric choke edelbrock but never set that either.

And lastly found a big vacuum leak at adapter base to intake as forced to use adapter as have stock spreadbore intake and thunder carbs are square flange.Not sure if the intake isn't leaking again but will try some wd40 later today.I was thinking get the edelbrock adapter kit instead of generic one but also might just rip intake off and install square one.Only reason haven't done that is trying to decide if want to keep this 400 or install planned BBC.

The carb seems otherwise to run pretty good.Burns the tires off the line with no bogging and runs pretty good up top.Got a high 13 out of the car and it has very mild mods and at 1900 foot altitude.Course that run the car didn't lay down wot.

I installed new russell billet filter..it had no direction arrows marked on it so think it works either way.