Classic Engine Tech 1967 - 1981 Engine Related

Help with stutter!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 08:55 PM

Exclamation Help with stutter!

I am having a problem on my 69 camaro with it cutting out or stuttering between 2500-3000rpm or part throttle. It is fine light throttle or full throttle but when going part throttle it is almost like it is loading up on fuel, but have changed the jets in the primaries 3 times to try and fix it. The funny thing is that it only acts up when the car is at operating temp(about 180*).

I am running a Summit HEI dist.(bought new just over a year ago), MSD in cap coil(was on the car when I got it at least 6yrs), MSD 6al(just took out of box in early 03 to install). I've been getting a carb built for the car and got it installed last week and have started having weird problems since(carb was the only thing changed). Now the car won't shut off, have to put it in gear after turning the key off. Never had this problem before now(not the neutral safety switch). I think it had the same hesitation/flood-like feel with the other carb, but thought it was the Street Avenger carb. The tach jumps around after the car is shut off, but works fine.

Today I tried changing coils, did the same thing after it warmed up. So I have narrowed it down to a bad distributor or faulty MSD. I think I'll try and by pass the 6al tomorrow and see if it cures the problem. I have a buddy with a mustang and is complaining of a very similar problem and just bought his 6al earlier this year.

Has anybody had a similar experience? Or any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 08-07-2003, 09:35 PM

your ignitoin box should only keep the car running when it has power to it and ignition module telling it when to fire maybe the wire you hooked up th the box is hot all the time instead of ignition hot
Old 08-08-2003, 01:52 PM

Do you use vacuum advance? what's the intial timing and full timing @2500rpm's Did you change the weights or springs in the distributor? Also with msd boxes they give you a diode to put in between the power line to the alternator so the car does not stay running. when you change jets do you go 2 sizes up or down? what's your idle in drive? what about neutral? What size power valve? what is your vacuum in idle? A lot of questions yes but it broadens it down fast.