Classic Engine Tech 1967 - 1981 Engine Related

a few 2nd gen ?s

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2002, 10:43 PM

a few 2nd gen ?s

i considering a new project with a later model 2nd gen. I see a lot of modified 70-73s but not many respectable 78-81s, and even fewer 74-77s. i was thinking about doing an autocross/pro-touring 80ish camaro. its got to be a stick with a fuel injected small block. 17in rims and probably a custom subframe and minitubbed in the rear to try to fit as much tire as possible. but im having a few probs. like i said i dont see many so im having a hard time getting ideas from anything other than the early 2nd gens that are all done out there. and im not sure what kind of drivetrain would work best for this. it has to be respectable in the 1/4 but it probably will see the street more than anything and i like to take turns fast. i was thinking of a lt1/t56 combo or maybe ramjet/r.o.d. 6speed? i want to be able to make it as simple as possible so i think the ls1 is out of the question, too much custom work it will never make it on the road. so does anybody have any opinions or links to similar cars or projects to get ideas from? im not really sure whats involved in this type of conversion so any help would be appreciated

thanks
Nick J.
Old 12-03-2002, 01:41 PM
Classic Tech Moderator

You might try asking the guys at www.nastyz28.com There are a few guys there with impressive auto-x machines, in particular Lowends ride which can be seen on in the suspension section.
Old 12-03-2002, 09:49 PM

Wink

I'm a big fan of '80/'81 Z28's too...........................I don't know what it is about them, but there's something about their look that I find really appealing. I think they're sort of a cross between classic "muscle cars" (due to size and weight!) and newer "sports cars" (plastic front and back bumper, old-school "ground effects"). Check out my old '81 Z28 (in my sig)..............I know it wasn't a "mint condition" car, but it did have a fresh paint job, and I thought the deep purple was a unique color. As well, if anyone ever pays attention to what I say on here, you'll know that I loved the 383 I had in my car! IMO, unless you have a big-block, you can't beat the torque of the stroker. Even with a relatively "small" cam (.480/.480 lift) and crappy heads (GM "882" castings), that car was still capable of running 13.5's down the 1/4 mile (on street tires and with factory stall).

However, your idea of an LT1/T-56 combo would be cool too.................probably a helluvalot better on gas (due to A> fuel injection, B> 6-speed, overdrive tranny) and yet still powerful. That reminds me of the '71 Camaro I read an article about that had an LS1 with a T-56............I think it was built by Hotchkiss? (suspension guys?? ). Hugger orange w/white stripes (same as my dad's '73 is going to be)................very cool looking car!

Well, good luck decision making!
Old 12-05-2002, 09:43 AM

Check NastyZ28.com, I have 81 but it's not an Auto X, just in "cruiser". See below.
Old 12-05-2002, 06:00 PM

Unhappy

ls1smlblck your 81 kinda has the image im looking for though. it looks like 16 or 17 in rims on it and its clean looking. i like it. i m thinking about just taking that to the next level though, any suggestions?
Old 12-06-2002, 02:49 AM

Just thought I'd reply with the link to a very impressive 1974 LT Camaro, that a fellow club member of mine has

http://www.ufba.org/viewmember.php?id=17
Old 12-06-2002, 10:44 PM

http://www.geocities.com/chevroletc1070/TA2.html
Now thats how a 2nd gen should look . My 80 is becoming a cornering car. Although I came across a 4.56 posi rearend here that I will stick in... not what I wanted but its cheap. At least I will come out of the corners real hard . If you want some suspension info go to the message boards at nastyz28.com and check out the suspension board and the competition cars board. Some really good advice there.
Good Luck.
CoryM
Old 12-08-2002, 08:31 PM

Talking

hey that would be my car!!

how is every body doing? i havn't been on here for like one year and this is the secind thread i look at and your talking about me
Old 12-08-2002, 10:50 PM

i agree thats nice but definately not the direction that i want to take with a 2nd gen. im more for the pro-touring not pro-street. but i must admit i got a soft spot for the 1974's it was the first nice camaro that i owned, had absolutely no rust anywhere and the guy i bought it from turned it into a circle track car it was actually a beautiful car, pearl white and all but not many people like the 74s they view it as the first ugly 2nd gen with the big bulky bumpers and all, which also makes for a highly desirable circle track candidate. but this time around im actually thinking of building one for the street and maybe a different kind of track. i should have enough spare parts after parting out and cutting up about a dozen of these cars between 70 and 81. but most where not even savable, being michigan cars and all.

on a different note though has anyone done a lt1/t56 swap into a 2nd gen? i see a lot of 1st and 3rd swaps but not much for the 2nd gen. the little things are what i think would make it diffificult such as the hyd clutch, and those type of things that didnt exist in 1980 or so.

im up for opinions as well, not just technical info

anyone?
Old 12-09-2002, 12:41 AM

I have a 70 Z28 I plan on putting a LT1/T56 combo in, right now I have a 305 in front of the T56. Biggest two mods for the T56 is the crossmember has to modified (flipped over, new mounting tab), and you have to build a plate to fit the clutch cylinder on the firewall. There are a couple places that make them for the 1st gens, but not the 2nd, but I have a couple pics of the 1st gen ones, so it won't take much to build. I also found that the aluminum driveshaft that Summit sells for the Mustang is the perfect length, you just have to swap yokes and u-joints. Nastz28.com has a wealth of info for this.. check them out!
Old 12-09-2002, 02:57 AM

If you havn't already made it over to the photo gallery at nastyz28....here are some pics you might be interested in.

late model 2nd gens

http://fbodyeurope.org/gallery/10_DSC00015.JPG

http://members.aol.com/mmodica79/newshoes.jpg

a few early 2nd gens

http://www.chevynut.com/

http://www.geocities.com/donl76/71Ca...?1031348076211

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...53466893wpRscJ

and here's the album

http://www.arrowlumber.com/sg/pg1.htm
Old 12-09-2002, 11:15 AM

you should out my 74 in the album thingy!
Old 12-09-2002, 04:55 PM

I am wanting to do a 80 Z28 also for my next project. The plan is for a LS1/T56 swap. The LS1 will pretty much bolt in but you will have to swap to a rack and pinion steering (Oh gee do I have to...lol) from the normal style. There are some other small details to it but if you just look up the old Hot Rod where they detail the build up on the Hotchkis car when they put the LS1/T56 in it.

I have had several 2nd gen Camaro's (6 total) and I realy like the 74 - 77 body style (especially the tail lights). I have a few friends that have them still and I just love them. Here are a couple of pics of my friends 77 Z28... it is an original Z28 and yes that is the original color. As a matter of fact the car has never been repainted so that is the original paint.

Old 12-09-2002, 06:24 PM

I see that I'm outnumbered. I really never have liked the 74-77 cars. Big beam front bumper, ack, but to each his own. They're all the same underneath though.
Old 12-09-2002, 08:16 PM

i agree the bumpers are freakin huge! and they are long car too! but i think mine looks different from any other i have ever seen.

Quick Reply: a few 2nd gen ?s