Classic Engine Tech 1967 - 1981 Engine Related

classic car staus and milage on collectible

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 01:14 PM

classic car staus and milage on collectible

how do you guys feel about driving your classic or restored cars and putting miles on them?
i mean i think its a sin to take a low mile classic and drive it as a daily driver. i would love to, and i did so when my 85 had 70,000 kilometers on it. i wish i didnt but i had no choice. i easily put 40,000 more k's on it in less than a year.
but then i guess im torn between the issue of paying so much for the car and paint/parts and not getting my moneys worth.
when your car becomes a classic, say a desireable car to collect or buy, how much does milage affect the value of the vehicle?
even though i cringe at the thought of ever selling my 85, every time i look down and see that extra 0 in the odometer i think im driving it too much. do you know what i mean? i love driving it but hate the milage because i feel it affects the value of the car in the distant future? if you can tell me otherwise maybe ill drive it more in the summer. no more winters though.
Old 12-09-2003, 07:19 PM

If you bought it as an investment, or want low miles as bragging rights, keep it in the garage. As far as the "value" of the car, compare the depreciated value (from higher miles) to what you'd be paying if you got another car.

If you have it because you love it, just make up your mind right now that you'll never sell it (unless it's so you can afford a car you'll love even more) and: Drive it like it's meant to be driven. Make a point to drive it every chance you get. Everything that breaks is a chance to upgrade, and every month that goes by is a car payment you didn't have to make, and you'll be enjoying your life instead of thinking about it. Leave the antique collecting up to old people and late-night talk show hosts.

I'm thinking that car needs to be driven right now.
Old 12-09-2003, 07:23 PM

Miles don't seem to mean much on old F-bodies (1st and 2nd gen) when they are cars used to cruise or whatever. Most of the time the actual mileage is not known since the odometers only go up to 99999miles.
But I guess in your case, it's up to you... I get way too much fun outta my car. And on top of that I know that no matter how much I drive that thing around, aslong as I maintain it.. it won't lose any value.
Old 12-09-2003, 07:35 PM

If you have true Classic Status on a car in BC or canada as far as i know, you are not aloud to bring it to work, or use it as a day driver.