Classic Engine Tech 1967 - 1981 Engine Related

Carb linkage prob, no W O T - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2003, 06:10 PM

Carb linkage prob, no W O T - Help!

67 Camaro, Stock 4bbl. metal rod linkage hooked to a mighty demon. I cannot get the carb to open all the way. I'm guessing that I need new linkage but I only want to do this once. The carb is on a SBC with a performer air gap. I also have a TV cable on the carb that is in the way. If you have the same set up, what did you do to fix this? Thanks for the help,
Steve
Old 12-03-2003, 04:18 PM

I had a similar setup on my 69 GTO. With all the different parts of the linkage they get a LOT of "slop" in them over the years. The threaded rod can probably be pulled shorter by quite a bit (which will get you WOT when the pedal meets the carpet) and still not prevent the carb from returning to idle when you let off.

If it can't, then consider moving the attachemment joint on the throttle arm of the carb slightly closer to the fulcrum point (the torttle shaft). That will require less total movement of the arm to go from idle to WOT.
Old 12-03-2003, 07:50 PM

SLOP, that's putting it mildly. Because of the TV system I needed to custom bend the linkage rod. The arm on my carb has two possible places to mount the rod. Neither of them reduced the amount of travel needed to do both WOT and an idle that would do less than 60. I am considering using Lokar system with a cable at this point, but I'm really tired of selling brand new parts on ebay. With the rod adjusted to get a decent idle I get about 75 to 80 degrees open compared to what I imagine WOT is, 90 degrees.

Any suggestions with the new info Damon?

Last edited by SLO SS K2; 12-03-2003 at 07:53 PM.
Old 12-04-2003, 07:37 PM

Yeah, if you've done everything you can with the linkage adjustement you can either drill another hole in the throttle arm that's a little closer to the throttle shaft or weld on an "extension" to the bell crank on the firewall where the metal throttle rod hooks on so it moves it further when you step on the gas.

Main thing is you want it get to WOT but just as importantly you want it to let the the throttle arm all the way back down on the idle stop screw on the carb when you let off the gas (faiure to do so will result in on WILD ride, as I'm sure you've discovered!). You should NOT be using the throttle linkage to adjust you idle speed.

Make sure your gas pedal in the cabin isn't being held up by something, too. The number of times a fat or wadded-up floor mat has prevented WOT is a LOT.
Old 12-05-2003, 06:12 AM

Thanks Damon.

I do love a wild ride. At least I live in the suburbs. Great advice for the use of the idle screws compared with the linkage. I've had to pull off the road at least once because of that. I did order a Lokar set up last night. I will add to this post with my experiences.

I see that you have/had a 69 GTO. What do you think of the new LS1 Goat? I'm guessing that you still like the car, sorry if I guessed wrong. I like the idea of the car (Anything with more HP) but I would like to test drive one before I make a statement. Kinda pricey, maybe.

SPK
Old 12-05-2003, 10:53 AM

I like the IDEA of a new GTO. But that's not a GTO by a long shot. It's a holden Monaro with Pontiac badges. Looks like a Grand Prix rental car. Weighs like a battleship (3800+). And no styling queues back to the 60s era muscle cars like twin (functional) hood scoops. Don't get me wrong- I would take one if you gave it to me. But shelling out the kinda money they are asking for one out of my own pocket? I don't think so. I'll take a used 4th gen.
Old 12-05-2003, 12:35 PM

Not being a GTO fan, I was hoping for an enthusiasts thoughts. Perfect! I see und understand your feelings. There goes "The Judge"

Steve
Old 12-05-2003, 07:33 PM

From Lokar

From: "Ginger Johnson" <Ginger@Lokar.com> Add to Address Book
To: "'Steve King'" <lsddking@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: RE: New carb in an old car linkage problem
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 16:01:42 -0500

Steve:

We suggest to use our BAG-6096 billet gas pedal for 67-69 Camaro. Our throttle cable TC-1000HT and our mounting bracket SRK-4000. This will allow you to get wide open throttle.

Denver