Classic Engine Tech 1967 - 1981 Engine Related

Car "darts" when driving straight

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2004, 11:32 PM

Car "darts" when driving straight

I took my dad's '68 camaro out today. The steering feels really loose. When you are driving down the road you can turn the wheel each way almost 1/4 turn and the car does not change direction (or very little).

The steering wheel feels very "light" if that makes sense. You can't really "feel" how much you are turning the car. It is a power steering car, but the wheel feels like it is too easy to turn.

I'm sure something is worn, but what is it? is there a rag joint that could cause this or could something be worn in the steering box to cauise it?

It is kind of hard to describe exactly how it feels, but it is definately not right.

I appreciate any ideas

Thanks
Dustin
Old 04-19-2004, 03:08 AM

The rag joint is located just behind the sterring box and is connected to the steering column on the other side. Can't miss it.

As a quick test, leave the wheels on the ground and dive under there while somebody turns the wheel back and forth for you. Anything this far gone should be pretty easy to pin-point visually.

Don't forget that the steering box itself could be worn out internally if you don't see anything externally wrong.
Old 04-19-2004, 08:59 AM

I tried that yesterday. It doesn't look like there is any slop in the rag joint. The column above it turns the same as the linkage below it.

When you turn the steeriing wheel with the car not moving, the wheels don't start to move until it has been turned at least 45 degrees. So, it must be worn in the steering box? Or could it be worn out somewhere past the box?

Thanks,
Dustin
Old 04-20-2004, 10:28 PM

Look at the movement of the pitman arm (that's the arm coming off the bottom of the steering box that connects to the centerlink) and see if it moves back and forth immediately as the steering wheel is turned. If it's a worn-out box, it wont. I suspect that is probably your problem, but make sure you KNOW where the slop is happening. Spend some time watching stuff move under there with somebody turning the wheel. I've layed under cars for 15-20 minutes sometimes doing this before I was SURE I knew where the looseness was coming from. All you need are your eyes, your brain and and little time and you'll be able to nail it down.

You're looing for any place there is "slop." A properly functioning steering system should have NO visible slop in it ANYWHERE. In reality there is a tiny little bit at every point, but nothing that you should be able to see by eye. If you can actually see something slopping back and forth before the wheels start to turn it's already WAY gone.

Last edited by Damon; 04-20-2004 at 10:31 PM.
Old 04-21-2004, 11:26 AM

Thanks. I'll get under there this weekend and try to find what is worn out.

Dustin
Old 04-27-2004, 09:57 PM

loosen the lock nut on top of the steering box and tighten the center screw untill it gets snug then back it off a bit, trial and error as to how much to back it off
Old 04-28-2004, 11:46 AM

Originally posted by LT4orbust
loosen the lock nut on top of the steering box and tighten the center screw untill it gets snug then back it off a bit, trial and error as to how much to back it off
Thanks for the tip. I'll try that.

Dustin