Classic Engine Tech 1967 - 1981 Engine Related

cant shift gears. please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 02:12 PM

cant shift gears. please help

its a 68 camaro with a 4 speed. the clutch seems to work fine and is fairly new. but when i press the clutch in the shifter wont move in or out of gear. it was stuck in neutral for a while and would hardly move around in neutral. i got it into 2nd gear after a while and now its stuck in second. what could cause this. could it be the syncros or is the gearbox jammed or something. i dont know what to do or where to start. im only 16 and im still learning. any help would be awsome.
Old 07-31-2003, 02:26 PM

if you hit something before this happened get under the car and make sure the rods for the shifter arent bent
Old 07-31-2003, 05:13 PM

i didnt hit anything. i have never been in an accident. havnt had the car very long either. but i was thinking it could have something to do with the linkage. i need to get a jackstand tommarow
Old 07-31-2003, 10:36 PM

Does this happen when engine is on or off? If it only does it with engine on, clutch might not be releasing completely.

If when engine off or on, it's tranny or shifter. Pop the shift rods off the levers on the side of the tranny cover and work levers back and forth one at a time. If they feel ok, problem is shifter. Rods need adjustment or something in the mechanism is kaput.

Leave both levers on the tranny cover in the middle (neutral) position. Put the shifter in neutral. Rods should slide right into the holes of the levers if shifter is properly adjusted.

Whatever you do, don't start engine with two levers engaging gears at same time or your tranny will kaboom.
Old 08-01-2003, 09:48 AM

While you're under there anyway, it might not be a bad idea to adjust the shifter completely. Assuming you have a Hurst shifter, get a Hurst Pit Pack and some 3/8" AN washers. Follow the directions and then use the washers to eliminate any slop left between the rods and the levers on the trans. Then if it shifts from gear to gear, put it in Third and run the shifter stop bolt up against the shifter lever, then back it off a [half turn?] and tighten the jam nut. Do the same thing in Fourth gear. Now you can "shift as hard as you want, just don't break your arm!"
Old 08-01-2003, 11:09 AM

wow. thanks you guys. so much more helpful than the other board i posted on.

so could my problem have been caused by hard shifting on my part?

i only actualy drove it for 1.5 days. i wasnt exactly taking it easy but i wasnt trying to see how fast i could wear my tires out either. but i did just buy it and who knows how it was actualy treated.

but hey, i get to work on it and learn something.